Author Topic: Xenon lights  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Phil.O

• Here all the time
Xenon lights
« on: 06 January 2008, 23:01 »
i'm sure people here have got xenon's just wondering if anyone has bought or fitted any and how much they cost?

are they worth the money cus i was thinking about upgrading my lights and wondering about them

cheers all
a work in progress......someday i might think i'm happy with a car....maybe

so far: 40mm Gmax lowering kit, upper and lower S3 strut braces, pipercross panel filter, Smoothed air box and 18" Audi R8 reps

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
Re: Xenon lights
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2008, 09:22 »
They are expensive and can only (legaly) be bought from VW. The later models (2002 + I think) had them as an option (I know Ridge has them on his derv).

I dont know the cost but it aint cheap for a set (usually the ones they stick on the R32's). This website does them but does not state a price and says you need to ask them for a price, which is not normaly a good thing.

http://www.tmtuning.com/HOME/catalog/frame_bottom.php?default_kat=49

Offline J5H VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2008, 10:50 »
Hey, I have them on mine too.  As a factory option they were not that cheap (i got the car 2nd hand).  And to be honest, the alternatives on the market dont look as tidy in my opion as the OEM ones.  Not sure how well they perform either, and if any changes are needed to the wiring etc. 

Might be a "effecient" option to just upgrade the bulbs to better ones rather than go for Xenons.
2001 VW 1.8t Golf GTi 5 Door (AUM). Xenons, Heated Black Recaro Leather, Front Arm Rest, Stubby Alloy Bee-sting, Climatronic, Heated Washers, Headlamp Jets, Touareg Torch...and a fire extinguisher should it all go wrong! - NOW SOLD

2005 BMW 330cd M Sport Convertible - Sparlking Graphite, Full Electric and Heated Red Leathers, TV, Nav, Bluetooth, Active Xenons, Wind Diffuser

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2008, 10:52 »
for an OEM set you're looking at best part of a grand, each cluster alone is just under £400 and the HID bulbs are about £80 each, none of the other bulbs are the same as the standard lights either (this makes buying spares a chore), you also need the washer jet (if you've got the winter pack you're laughing)

you can get after market "conversions" which sit in your existing cluster, however these are 100% illegal (regardless of E marks, kite marks) as the law is quite clear when it says you can fit them, but you have to then fit a suitable cluster as they have to be focused properly and auto level.

IMO they are well worth the money as you well defined light pattern, the light is easier on the eye, you can actually see on country lanes without full beam and they look the shiz

if you've got a spare grand then go for it, if not get some uprated bulbs.

And to be honest, the alternatives on the market dont look as tidy in my opion as the OEM ones.

I've seen a few round my way that way these and TBH they look sh1t and you can tell that the pattern isn't right
« Last Edit: 07 January 2008, 10:53 by The_Ridge »

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2008, 11:46 »
On the topic of uprated bulbs I fitted these last week to my motor: http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=72508.0

They are much better thatn the piss poor candles you get as standard on the MK4 and if you order them through that website you get free "bluevision" sidelights too. I've not got around to fitting these yet as its too cold and im back to work and its dark when I get back blah blah etc etc, so cant comment, but the main lights are much better (whiter and brighter) and for £32.99 its a steal imo.

As Iv not changed my sidelights yet I really need to get around to taking a pic of diffrence in white contrast between the OEM bulbs and these new ones. I might even be arsed to do it tonight lol. The sidelights actually look as if there is something wrong with them they are so yellow and dim compared to the new ones.

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
« Reply #5 on: 07 January 2008, 12:27 »
The sidelights actually look as if there is something wrong with them they are so yellow and dim compared to the new ones.

I know exactly what you mean, LED side lights and probably illegal (80W +) Main beams  :undecided: are on my list of things to do, as like you say standard side lights don't go with the HID colour