Author Topic: wtf my calliper spun off!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2474 times)

Offline nadlad

• I live here
  • Building Surveyor MRICS
wtf my calliper spun off!!!!!!!!!
« on: 13 September 2009, 00:06 »
this is what happened today a load bang followed by a huge grinding noise coming to a halt...

the damage: brake pads f**ked

calliper snapped off literally

inner rc wheel scraped liek mad

am hoping the caliper or which ever bit bolts onto the hub is ok and not too bent as the car woudl only roll backwards but it looks like i may get away with just getting obv new pads and carriers

i think the gy who did the calliper swap forgot to put the second bolt in on the where the calliper fixes to the end of the wheel hub as there no shear marks and it looks liek it its spun and got wedged,,,,any not happy thank god for aa

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline northeast_gti-t

• Serious forum addict
  • "1.8T AGU"
Re: wtf my calliper spun off!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2009, 00:59 »
this is what happened today a load bang followed by a huge grinding noise coming to a halt...

the damage: brake pads f**ked

calliper snapped off literally

inner rc wheel scraped liek mad

am hoping the caliper or which ever bit bolts onto the hub is ok and not too bent as the car woudl only roll backwards but it looks like i may get away with just getting obv new pads and carriers

i think the gy who did the calliper swap forgot to put the second bolt in on the where the calliper fixes to the end of the wheel hub as there no shear marks and it looks liek it its spun and got wedged,,,,any not happy thank god for aa

[/quote
fook mate that looks bad  :angry: you were relatively lucky with that i would check the surface of your alloy as it will more than likely need sealing to prevent corrosion etc i would say you may need to replace your carrier and check the caliper but more than likely that and disc and pads will require replacement to and i would be taking a lump of wood around to the guy that did that to knock some sense into him thats just shoddy poor work fella could have injured you mate  :shocked:
2000 Mkiv GTi 1.8T AGU

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2009, 02:25 »
anyone selling a rear ns brake carrier as this has snapped am i right in thinkign the carriers are the same right from 1.4 to r 32.... i noticed that the calipers on the anni rears are smooth where as on the 150 and 130 they were finned finish.... am tryign to find a set of carriers for the back if anyone knows any goign cheap.
cheers

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #3 on: 13 September 2009, 11:05 »
Don't know what the 1.4/1.6/2.0 etc. run, but AUQ/V5 (170)/V6/R32 all run 256 mm rear brakes, so their parts won't fit your 232's.  ;)
Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2009, 11:39 »
WTF

"Forgot" to refit parts of the brake system?  What else did they do work on?

Was this done by a garage?  Whoever it was they want reporting / smack in the ear.

Build thread clicky

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2009, 12:20 »
Don't know what the 1.4/1.6/2.0 etc. run, but AUQ/V5 (170)/V6/R32 all run 256 mm rear brakes, so their parts won't fit your 232's.  ;)

mine are the 312 system front and back off an anni

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2009, 12:37 »
WTF

"Forgot" to refit parts of the brake system?  What else did they do work on?

Was this done by a garage?  Whoever it was they want reporting / smack in the ear.

Think he said the carrier snapped not that the garage forgot.
If the garage did forget surely it would have happened alot sooner
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...

Offline nadlad

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2009, 12:49 »
the calliper is fixed on by two bolts to the hub.... there is only one on there now and there are now shear or tension marks where the other one wud go so surely they had forgot to bolt the second one down? the carrier snapping is due to the pressure of the bend when it got cuaght

PS am probably gettign tcarrier and caliper mixed up as am not sure which is which

<<<Big Build Thread>>>

Offline Ivor Mk4 Turbo

• Forum addict
  • 2014 PP GTi Manual
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2009, 13:05 »

mine are the 312 system front and back off an anni

In that case, only the rear braking parts off the models I listed will fit yours then. ;)

Pad carriers (albeit, these are front ones):-

Current Car:- 2014 GTI PP manual, white.

Make way for..... 'The Silver Bullet'! 227 bhp, KO3-S'd AGU, R-TECH Spec 2 map 8), Forge 007P, Blueflame Turbo-back, Eibach -30mm's, YellowStuff front/RedStuff rear pads, Goodridge braided lines, TT Short-shifter, R32 Dogbone, TT W/B bushes, Forge TIP, G60 fly/VR6 clutch, 5.5 ltr washer bottle,

Car now for sale >>> http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=140614.0

Offline Steve_PD

• Serious forum addict
  • Cruising around in a Land Cruiser
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2009, 13:16 »
Two bolts go through the carrier into the hub and then two bolts bolt the caliper to the carrier.
how long ago did you have the work done? if it was done the other day then yes they forgot to put the bolt in, if it was months ago then I cant see why its taken so long for it to happen
I often wonder why people never expect sarcastic comments from me - they're the only reason I speak...