Author Topic: It's been awesome...  (Read 2188 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
It's been awesome...
« on: 27 November 2011, 17:16 »
Hey Folks

I've heard back from Volkswagen and having initially estimated the build date for the new car some way into the 22nd century, they have now revised their estimate and it looks like the Tiguan will be here in mid-January. This means that the time has come for me to put my cherished MKVI on the market.

I just wrote the for sale ad and it got me thinking about what a tremendous car this is and how if I had my time over again, I would buy the exact same vehicle. It really has gotten under my skin and if you're hanging out in this forum and reading this, you'll understand exactly what I mean.

So, why am I selling the car? I'm sure some of you will remember that my wife passed her driving test earlier this year. She was put off driving after having been the victim of a hit and run in the middle of her test at the age of seventeen so remains understandably nervous in a car. The configuration and power of my remapped GTI terrified her as a new driver so I set about finding a car that she would be comfortable in. After having test driven every small car (both new and second hand), I felt that there was limited value in getting something that does what the GTI  does half as well so we eventually settled on a Tiguan Escape 2.0TDI DSG 4Motion. The Tiguan better serves the dogs and for carting large 'stuff' as well as my equipment for work. The DSG will be a treat in London traffic. Problem is, the Tiguan duplicates the Golf in more ways than one but doesn't quite have the same performance and handling characteristics. So, I decided to bring my mid-life crisis forward by a good 15 years and ordered a new Porsche Cayman R. It's black and has red brake calipers like the GTI. It also has red accents inside in the form of the seat belts and door pulls but there is no tartan in sight. So, in a small way, the spirit of the GTI lives on in the Porsche and it won't be long before the VAGCOM cable will be out and I'll be tinkering with the Tiguan. Doc, ever remapped a Tiguan?

The Porsche has only done 81 miles in her life before I had to put her into winter storage so I now have to wait until Spring before I can drive her again. I'd like to thank you all for the camaraderie, friendship and good advice in the time that I've had the GTI. I've learned a lot and have enjoyed being a part of the community and hope you won't mind me visiting from time to time.

It's funny how some cars are really hard to let go of. It would only seem right to part with a picture of her and if anyone is interested in buying her, please PM me and I'll give you the details. It'd be great if someone on the forum took her, at least I know she'd be going to a good home.

All the best

Alex

« Last Edit: 27 November 2011, 17:23 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
Re: It's been awesome...
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2011, 17:41 »
Sorry to see your car go but hopefully you'll stick around.

Yes I've mapped plenty of Tigs, speak to Steve30 on here - I mapped his mates one which is identical to Steves in every way :wink:

My wife has an R-line TIG with DSG too - good choice, I removed the spare to give it a bigger boot  :wink:

Jimmymature

« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2011, 18:24 »
Cayman R!!!!!   Money bags over there.....

Very nice car mate, see you around on the forum no doubt.

Jim

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2011, 18:59 »
Sticky for a few days  :wink:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2011, 19:11 »
Sorry to see your car go but hopefully you'll stick around.

Yes I've mapped plenty of Tigs, speak to Steve30 on here - I mapped his mates one which is identical to Steves in every way :wink:

My wife has an R-line TIG with DSG too - good choice, I removed the spare to give it a bigger boot  :wink:

Thanks Doc. Will give you a shout once I have the hang of the Tiguan and see where I would like it improved.  :smiley:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2011, 19:23 »
Cayman R!!!!!   Money bags over there.....

Very nice car mate, see you around on the forum no doubt.

Jim

It's a huge amount of money for sure Jim. However, it is my dream car and once in a while you just have to do it. Not having kids does help.  :laugh:

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2011, 19:40 »
All the best mate. Been a pleasure having you on here.

Don't forget to pop back and give us a pic or two of your new cars (especially the Caymen R).

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2011, 19:55 »

Don't forget to pop back and give us a pic or two of your new cars (especially the Caymen R).

+1  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Enjoy the Porka  :cool:

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2011, 21:46 »

Thanks Steve. Seems there are quite a few Tiguan owners on here so while I won't be a full card carrying GTI owner, I have kept it German and 'dub so hopefully you all won't think less of me.  :tongue:

I'll post a 'family portrait' when I have them all together. I can't wait until Spring next year when the roads come clear of the grit. I do have to keep it to under 4,000 RPM for the first 2,000 miles though. Gonna be tough to do but will have to be disciplined! I'm putting together my 'breaking in' routes in the meantime.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2011, 21:47 »

+1  :cool: :cool: :cool:

Enjoy the Porka  :cool:

Cheers mate.  :cool: