Author Topic: Steering Feel  (Read 1974 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Steering Feel
« on: 20 May 2011, 13:51 »
Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone has noticed their steering loosen up a bit over time? I'm just short of 9k miles and my steering doesn't feel as taut as it used to. It's almost like there is a bit of play in the wheel, reminds me of a classic Merc I used to have. Previously a turn of the wheel would correspond to a similar degree of movement in the wheels but now there is a bit more give.

Checked VCDS, wheel alignment, tyre pressure, basically everything. Not hit any potholes or anything which could account for the change. Dealer checked it out, said it was all fine.

Anyone have any observations?

Thanks
« Last Edit: 20 May 2011, 16:58 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
Re: Steering Feel
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 13:55 »
At just short of 9000 miles, I'd say your front tyres would be past their best.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2011, 14:19 »
Mine feels fine can't say I've noticed any difference in the car..... done 22k on the original stock tyres as well. Although I shall be treating myself to some a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's shortly  :wink:

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2011, 14:41 »
Hey Guys
Just wondering if anyone has noticed their steering loosen up a bit over time? I'm just short of 9k miles and my steering doesn't feel as taught as it used to. It's almost like there is a bit of play in the wheel, reminds me of a classic Merc I used to have. Previously a turn of the wheel would correspond to a similar degree of movement in the wheels but now there is a bit more give.
Checked VCDS, wheel alignment, tyre pressure, basically everything. Not hit any potholes or anything which could account for the change. Dealer checked it out, said it was all fine.
Anyone have any observations?
Thanks

I am rather surprised that your steering wheel does not feel as well taught as before.  :laugh: Learning disability is a very serious problem and should be addressed with alacrity.
Thankfully, my steering feels as taut as when new.  :smug:

Mine feels fine can't say I've noticed any difference in the car..... done 22k on the original stock tyres as well. Although I shall be treating myself to some a new set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's shortly   :wink:

Brilliant tyre choice.  :smiley:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2011, 16:09 »
doesn't sound good  :sad:

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2011, 16:22 »
Does sound like tyre wear - try swapping the front and rear wheels to see if it makes a difference.
Golf R

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2011, 17:04 »
Thanks all. Tyre wear is well within tolerances on the front and if it wasn't, I'm sure the dealer would have spotted an opportunity to peddle a new pair of wheels. I might swop the wheels around just to say that I've exhausted every possibility.

Asker, thank you for the spelling lesson. I've turned off autocorrect on the ipad just for you.

@TheDoc - are there any plans to run the forum through Tapatalk or Forum Runner? That would be mighty handy and I know you're an ipad user too.
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Radek

• GTI forum regular
  • Good things come to those who wait
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2011, 12:32 »
Check the wheel alignemnt. It makes a massive difference.
My car has had lots of issues with bad steering feel - too soft for a GTI. I though it was power steering issue. Long story but in the end it was the (mis-) alignment.
Golf GTI VI DSG - died on the road, resurrected, came back as zombi, sold
R - rising blue, 5-door, DSG, ACC, something something...

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2011, 14:22 »
For a literal answer to this thread, mine feels nice and substantial with special delight for the cut-off bottom. :grin:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline mattlha

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2011, 21:32 »
I changed my Dunlops to Bridgestone Potenza's and mine sharpened up nicely, and it stopped understeering (mine has 10K on the clock now), and i much prefer the feel of the Potenza's for fast cornering - whereas the Dunlops always felt like i needed another extra bit of turn in to what i expected...

Not sure if i have explained this well ?