Author Topic: GTI - Kills bugs fast.  (Read 6244 times)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Re: GTI - Kills bugs fast.
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2011, 18:42 »
Chuff:
LOL. :laugh:
That helmet looked like a big bug. Did you realise this before you posted?
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2011, 18:44 »
'GTI - Kills bugs fast'.
..... and you are still alive? ........ :evil: :laugh: :kiss:
You don't notice the blood on red paint....  :grin:

I thought it was the lipstick you borrowed from your wife, dear.  :grin:

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2011, 21:11 »
The front of my car looked similar to that this morning after about 300 miles of motorway driving.

I just used my foaming lance and covered it in snow foam.  Leave it for 10 mins, then powerwash off.  The snow foam softens the bugs up, and the majority of the big ones drop off as the foam drips.  It also worked for the caked on bird poo from leaving the car parked under a lamppost for a week.
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2011, 07:17 »
The front of my car looked similar to that this morning after about 300 miles of motorway driving.

I just used my foaming lance and covered it in snow foam.  Leave it for 10 mins, then powerwash off.  The snow foam softens the bugs up, and the majority of the big ones drop off as the foam drips.  It also worked for the caked on bird poo from leaving the car parked under a lamppost for a week.

I snow foamed the car on Saturday when I gave her a clean and it removed the bodies but there are still 'grease' marks where they've impacted. Possible that I didn't leave it on long enough because it was so warm, the foam was starting to dry even though I did it as late in the evening as I could. Are you able to actually get those marks off?
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2011, 08:23 »

@kgreenway - You went for the 754 and Pro Ride 591 combination? Good choice if you did. I had to get them in aluminium, the black ones were crude squared off pieces which looked like a home DIY project. You still notice wind noise above 50MPH though with the aluminium aero bars, especially when there are strong cross winds.

I'd recommend using the mounting clamps versus the T-bolts to affix them. They're quicker and you don't have to take the rubber insert off the roof bar, looks better on too but just be careful you don't drop them on your roof.

Don't leave your wheel straps on when you leave your car either. They're too easy to steal as there is no way of securing them and my dealer chucked in a couple extra for me for 'when it happens' as he put it. Apparently it's one of the most commonly required spares.

The vinyl paint protectors that you apply on the sill are a swine though and will distort once you tighten up the bars so my advice would be to do it when it's warm so you can flatten them out as much as possible.

Another shot of the bars below as requested. I've got the 591's mounted front to back and back to front to allow clearance for handlebars. You can slide the feet off and have both bikes facing the direction of travel but it doesn't really make much difference with two.

AGB, I did go with that combination indeed..Although this trip around will be attaching a box (Thule Atlantis 200).  I hear what you're saying on the aero bars..I thought exactly the same with the black ones.  The aero bars look so much nicer.  Thanks for advice on the vinyl paint protectors, I'll see how I get on.  Hope they don't mark the fresh Candy white paint.

The bars do look pretty mint though I have to say  :wink:

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2011, 11:48 »
Roof bars and a GTI  :sick: :sick: just don't look good.
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 03 May 2011, 12:18 »

Amanda, all we have to do now is to wait for a smart arse answer from Alex.  :laugh:

Offline danski

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2011, 12:49 »
I applied Gtech G1 a few weeks back, and now the bugs clean off much easier, as someone said, foam it first to soften, good was with a mitt and once dried have another check for anything left over, usually another wipe with the drying towel does the job for me.
Golf GTD, 2010, 3 Door, Deep Black Pearl, Leather, RCD510, Reversing Camera, 18" Vancouvers, Storage Pack, R LED Rears, More GTECHNIQ protection than I can shake a stick at....

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 03 May 2011, 13:03 »

Amanda, all we have to do now is to wait for a smart arse answer from Alex.  :laugh:

Tell me about it...Needs must when you have two infants who require half the house to be transported to our destination!  Believe me they will only be on for the journey there and back!

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #19 on: 03 May 2011, 15:49 »

Disagree - not sure why but I always think good quality roof racks can look kind off sporty in a funny sort of way!   :undecided:

« Last Edit: 03 May 2011, 15:57 by MAW73 »

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto