Author Topic: GTI - Kills bugs fast.  (Read 6239 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
GTI - Kills bugs fast.
« on: 02 May 2011, 12:02 »
It's that time of the year - the sun is shining, the birds are singing and the insect population is booming.

Got back from the Lake District on Friday after having done just over 1,500 miles and this is the state of my car. She has had a wash to lift as much off as possible since the pictures were taken but it's going to require some serious elbow grease with clay bar and my new Flex polisher to get her back to normal condition.

The roof bars are aluminium, no powder coating or anything and even my Karcher power washer applied millimetres away couldn't shift them. I've had to use a non marking scourer and a Fairy liquid/degreaser mixer to remove it. I'm just amazed at the amount of suicidal insect life that threw itself into my path.  :grin:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
Re: GTI - Kills bugs fast.
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2011, 12:26 »
Only bad thing about the summer! Spent a couple of hours polishing the car lastnight to aid removing them for the summer ahead!

APR Stage 2+

Offline AlanEdition30

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2011, 12:49 »
I found that out when i took my gti to Italy last year for some alpine roads. I found the best way to remove bugs off the car is to wet about 8 sheets of kitchen roll and press on top of the bugs. If left for about 5 minutes, the bugs soften up and then simply wipe off during the wash mitt stage of cleaning  :nerd:

Offline KennyGTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2011, 15:15 »
^^^^^ Yeah do that sometimes, same goes for bird s**te!

APR Stage 2+

Offline kgreenway

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2011, 15:40 »
Nice to see somebody else with the Thule aluminium roof bars on a GTI :-)  Mine will be getting their 1st use next weekend on a family holiday to North Wales. How's the ride/look with them fitted?  Anymore pics? ;-)

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2011, 18:24 »
'GTI - Kills bugs fast'.
..... and you are still alive? ........ :evil: :laugh: :kiss:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2011, 18:35 »
Nice to see somebody else with the Thule aluminium roof bars on a GTI :-)  Mine will be getting their 1st use next weekend on a family holiday to North Wales. How's the ride/look with them fitted?  Anymore pics? ;-)

@Kenny/Alan - Yep, I use the same trick. Makes the car look like it's gone and cut itself shaving.  :grin:

@kgreenway - You went for the 754 and Pro Ride 591 combination? Good choice if you did. I had to get them in aluminium, the black ones were crude squared off pieces which looked like a home DIY project. You still notice wind noise above 50MPH though with the aluminium aero bars, especially when there are strong cross winds.

I'd recommend using the mounting clamps versus the T-bolts to affix them. They're quicker and you don't have to take the rubber insert off the roof bar, looks better on too but just be careful you don't drop them on your roof.

Don't leave your wheel straps on when you leave your car either. They're too easy to steal as there is no way of securing them and my dealer chucked in a couple extra for me for 'when it happens' as he put it. Apparently it's one of the most commonly required spares.

The vinyl paint protectors that you apply on the sill are a swine though and will distort once you tighten up the bars so my advice would be to do it when it's warm so you can flatten them out as much as possible.

Another shot of the bars below as requested. I've got the 591's mounted front to back and back to front to allow clearance for handlebars. You can slide the feet off and have both bikes facing the direction of travel but it doesn't really make much difference with two.

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2011, 18:35 »
'GTI - Kills bugs fast'.
..... and you are still alive? ........ :evil: :laugh: :kiss:

You don't notice the blood on red paint....  :grin:

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2011, 18:36 »
least you got windscreen wipers, this was after an hour round the lakes

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2011, 18:41 »
least you got windscreen wipers, this was after an hour round the lakes

Ooof. You need F1 helmet tear off strips or someone riding pillion with some insect wipes.  :grin: