Author Topic: GTI Oil Burner  (Read 3762 times)

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTI Oil Burner
« Reply #10 on: 05 January 2011, 20:31 »
Cannot say I have noticed any oil use in 18K, but as it is stated earlier, all cars differ. At least you knowand can keep an eye on it.
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline Egbutt Wash

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 06 January 2011, 00:23 »
My Mk5 drinks oil.
Please check.
Currently digging a bunker.

Offline avalon

• Here all the time
« Reply #12 on: 06 January 2011, 13:00 »
I've done just on 4K in mine since July.

I check the oil pretty much every couple of weeks and the dipstick level was always the same.

I spent the time between Xmas & New Year on a trip to the lakes and noticed when I checked the level when I came back to it had dropped about half a centimetre on the dipstick.

That trip certainly required some fluids to pet put in/on the car.  Along with the oil, I needed a couple of litres of screenwash as well as several times two-bucket-method refills of water to get the thing clean.

Apart from it's dislike of Kirkstone Pass in the snow, the car performed superb as always during its little holiday.

Ava

GTi DSG 5 Door Candy White [MY11]

Offline MAW73

• I live here
  • Used to like Golfs :-)
« Reply #13 on: 06 January 2011, 14:21 »
I've done 10K in the past year. I'm ashamed to say I've only recently checked the oil level and it was just approaching the minimum line. I've topped her up with 500ml of Castrol SLX longlife III oil and everything is running tickety boo!

2007 VW Mk5 Golf GT 5 Door DSG
2009 VW Mk6 Golf GTI 5 Door DSG
2012 BMW F20 125i M Sport, Auto
2014 BMW F20 M135i, Auto

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 06 January 2011, 23:35 »
I've spoken to the dealership service manager, he is going to give my car a check up so I'll post back in case his findings help someone else.

Halfords are doing a very good deal on oil BTW... :wink:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_210681_langId_-1_categoryId_165581
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline toxwaz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2011, 19:10 »
hi, i got my gti last month, it was serviced mid 08/10,at 9000 miles its just reached 11500 and i`ve just checked it for the 1st time since buying it, it just on the minimum  now so i`m guessing its used .5-1lt,in that period.is it ok to use any 5w 30 oil or is it supposed to be vw stuff? also the oil seems abit dirty for a couple of thousend miles is this the norm[its only ever done short runs no motorway driving]?cheers mark

Offline andykram

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2011, 19:24 »
I bought a litre of the VW stuff when I picked mine up in July 09 to keep in the boot if I ever needed to top up. The can hasn't moved from the boot since - not a drop. It was obviously serviced in July 2010.

Funny really cos I've read a lot over the years about VWs using oil but I can't recall ever having to top up any of the Mk3/4/6s I've had (or the Mk2 for that matter).

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2011, 20:28 »
Alex can I just check with you that once you took delivery of your new baby, that you topped up ALL fluid levels....? I found out on here, that VW ship their cars over with minimal fluid levels to assist their carbon footprint etc. Therefore, for eg, my new baby had these minimal fluid levels (oil, gas, water, everything) and the dealer did not top these up before presenting me with the car!
Thanks to the peeps here, I was made aware of this very early and therefore topped up the essential fluids where possible and have complained to my dealer. Could this be why your oil levels are low...?....which doesn't mean that your baby burns oil (you would see blue smoke from your exhaust anyway)...?

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline map541

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2011, 20:32 »
Yesterday I have the "check oil level" warning when I started up my car. Now I haven't checked the oil once since having the car new in Sept, but i've only covered 2400 miles. Having just read through the manual it says that engine an use more oil during the first 3000 miles. I'm going to pop it in to the dealer who are usually pretty good about top ups for this sort of thing. My old Mk5 GT used to pratically drink the stuff.