Author Topic: GTI Oil Burner  (Read 3794 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
GTI Oil Burner
« on: 31 December 2010, 08:49 »
Hey Folks

I bought a GTI from new earlier this year but I think they must have made a mistake with the badging as I think I got an oil burner.  :smiley:

Doing the sums, I'm going through 1.4 litres of oil per 2,000 miles. The car's mileage is just over 4,5k from new. I initially dismissed the oil consumption as running in but would have thought that it would have stabilised to more acceptable levels by now. It's thirstier than other cars I've had and wondered if I was unusual in my observations?

80% of my driving is in London so I can never really open her up, the other 20% I try and make up for it.  :grin:

Be grateful for any comments from members whose cars have covered similar mileage and more...

Thanks

Alex
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: GTI Oil Burner
« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2010, 09:33 »
In the manual you'll find that it probably say something along the lines of 1 litre per 1000km is within acceptable tolerances.

The fact you do mostly inner city driving is not helping the oil consumption  :sad:

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2010, 09:58 »
I, like AGB, drive only in Central London. We are practically neighbours!
However, mine has not used one drop (exaggeration) of oil in the 3380 miles I have covered. But remember part of my journey is on the A40 Westway.

Engines do vary.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2010, 14:03 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2010, 11:11 »
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I had already checked the manual and the car is within tolerances but I was wondering what other people were getting. Lots of variables at play of course and I was trying to figure out how much the city driving was impacting consumption.

If anyone is doing a group buy on oil, count me in!  :smiley:

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2010, 11:13 »
I'm a bad person.  I never even checked my oil.  Never had any issues that I knew about, first service at 12,500 miles.

Rolfe.

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
« Reply #5 on: 03 January 2011, 20:48 »
I check mine once a month or so, no oil used at all at least not noticable on the dipstick level. Been like that since new. (Sept 09)

Always checked with the engine cold and parked on a level.

Same on the mk 5.

Edit.And the mk 4.

Don't remember the mk1 using much but then I probably didn't bother checking all those years ago...
« Last Edit: 03 January 2011, 21:37 by GolfTi »
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Neil gti

• I live here
  • She's gone but never forgotten
« Reply #6 on: 03 January 2011, 22:33 »
Think i have only topped up once in 15,000 mile used hardly any, amazing how the same engines can vary so much  :sad:
Mk6 Gti Gone but not forgtten
Loving the 7R

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 04 January 2011, 04:55 »
I'm a bad person.  I never even checked my oil.  Never had any issues that I knew about, first service at 12,500 miles.

Rolfe.

I'm with Morag, it's rare my bonnet gets opened, even rarer for my dipstick to come out of it's tube..... :embarassed:
I've had dozens of VAG cars that haven't had a drink problem so just assume they will all be like that - could be a costly mistake one day!  :shocked:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mfl

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 04 January 2011, 09:14 »
90% of my driving is stop start, city driving (if can call it that) and used about 250mls in 12,500 miles. There was a small oil leak near the turbo. In the 6,000 miles since the leak was repaired the car hasn't used any oil.
« Last Edit: 04 January 2011, 21:27 by mfl »

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 January 2011, 17:08 »
Mine does not seem to use any oil or very little, mind you i do not do alot of miles its 18 months old been serviced once and only done 6400 miles.
Golfgti build quality is average at best.