Author Topic: Auto Mirrors  (Read 2146 times)

Offline AGB

• I live here
Auto Mirrors
« on: 29 November 2010, 23:14 »
Hey Guys

I know quite a few of you have the auto fold mirrors but does anyone else have issue with the fact that they seem to have a mind of their own from time to time? They'll generally behave but sometimes I just can't get them to open on the dial. Reverse forward and back, twiddle a bit with them and then eventually they go out. It's intermittent so reproducing it to isolate a fault doesn't really work.

Do I have a dodgy connection somewhere, I recall someone else mentioning this but I couldn't find the thread to see if they got to the bottom of it.

Anyone else have to fiddle about a bit? (note that I didn't use knob in that sentence..)

Thanks

Alex

MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline Jimble

• Forum addict
Re: Auto Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2010, 23:24 »
Mine tend to be a bit lazy when the weather is cold like now, if they've been folded overnight say, when i turn "knob" to open them it takes a few seconds till they can be bothered to move but just leave it where it is and they seem to work, if yours are worse than that then i'd probably take it in and get the bod's to have a look.
Currently pootling around in our family wagen, a Tiguan SEL 😂

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 29 November 2010, 23:48 »
Yeah same thing happens with mine. Sometimes they won't fold out no matter how many times you twiddle the dial. I end up just driving off and the vibrations seem to help them come out.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 29 November 2010, 23:55 »
Happens often only when one wishes to open them and usually when one first starts the car. One of those quirks I've put up with. Silly bloody thing.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 19:22 by am1w »
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2010, 18:29 »
Known problem. It a problem on the mk5 as well and other mk5 based products.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline RedHP

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2010, 18:44 »
There have been a few of these threads. I also have this issue, but have found that PATIENCE is the answer.
Usually, for me, it occurs when I first get into the car (and while its cold), so I give it 30-odd secs then turn the dial and hey-presto !

Red
Mk6 GiT since birth in 2010

YNWA

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2010, 19:01 »
Here is my take on this.

If you have a turbo engine it is good to run it for at least 30 seconds before moving off. The door mirrors have been especially programmed by VW to remain shut for this required time. Those clever Germans. :smug:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2010, 20:54 »
Or its a canbus system priority error and it keeps mising the instruction.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2010, 21:06 »
It seems to eventually check the system and say. ahhhhh the mirrors should be out.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2010, 21:14 »
Its this bloody weather, they hate the cold. Turned em on this morning, didnt open up till about 5 secs after driving off. It was the same last winter but behaved perfectly in the spring/summer months.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"