Author Topic: mk 6 GTI long life oil  (Read 10162 times)

Offline adw555

• Here all the time
mk 6 GTI long life oil
« on: 24 July 2009, 10:27 »
Hi...anyone with a mk 6 GTI know if they still use 5W 30 long life oil ?. Used this on my mk 5 and Homebase are doing it half price at the moment.

Getting my mk 6 on Monday so maybe going to grab a couple at this price!

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=592235

Offline Emeye

• GTI forum regular
Re: mk 6 GTI long life oil
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2009, 15:36 »
Cheers for that - Good price - gonna pick up a couple myself this weekend. :smiley:

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2009, 16:02 »
If you're going to buy that stuff then its probably best to go for the Edge Sport ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2009, 19:55 »
Mine is not on the longlife service,i looked in the handbook and it just quotes a vw number for the type of oil to use,when i brought my touran i got a free ltr of oil with it,not with the gti ?
Golfgti build quality is average at best.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #4 on: 15 August 2009, 22:19 »
If you're going to buy that stuff then its probably best to go for the Edge Sport ?

Nope - NOT approved for VWs!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #5 on: 15 August 2009, 22:21 »

Do you have any idea's what would be suitable ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2009, 01:35 »

Do you have any idea's what would be suitable ?

Yup.  The oil MUST officially be approved by VW to the VW 504.00 standard (if it aint, your warranty will be invalidated).  Secondly, it must only be from one of the 'quality' oil manufacturers (so no Comma or CarPlan shyte), and the most crucial bit - only from European manufacturers (so that would be BP/Castrol/Aral, Motul, Fuchs, Total/Elf, Motorex, Pentosyn, OMV) - so that means NO Mobil, Texaco or Valvoline.
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2009, 14:12 »

Says on the back of the bottle of castrol edge 0 - 30 approved for vw 502 which is what the manual says to use in the gti non long life service.
« Last Edit: 16 August 2009, 14:21 by simonpolly »

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2009, 14:32 »

Says on the back of the bottle of castrol edge 0 - 30 approved for vw 502 which is what the manual says to use in the gti non long life service.

Edge yes, but edge sport?
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline simonpolly

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2009, 14:39 »
i did`nt see any castrol edge sport when i brought the castrol edge,you would think that from the name it was a better oil,but the mk6 gti  on non long life service it says to use vw502,which is plain old castrol edge so i don`t know where you would use the sport version ? :undecided: