Author Topic: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit  (Read 14752 times)

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
Re: OEM Reverse Camera - VW Retrofit
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2019, 19:57 »
If you plan to do it just be wary there are two types of camera 'Lowline' and 'Highline'.

The 'Lowline' is what VW fits to the cars from the factory, but as I found out when I first used mine, it only has static guidelines which are pretty useless on their own. To add the movable guidelines (which bend and move with your steering) you need a 'Highline' camera.

Are static lines the green lines? and interested to hear a little more about how the movable guidelines change, do they get shorter as you get closer to objects?

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2019, 11:20 »
If you plan to do it just be wary there are two types of camera 'Lowline' and 'Highline'.

The 'Lowline' is what VW fits to the cars from the factory, but as I found out when I first used mine, it only has static guidelines which are pretty useless on their own. To add the movable guidelines (which bend and move with your steering) you need a 'Highline' camera.

Are static lines the green lines? and interested to hear a little more about how the movable guidelines change, do they get shorter as you get closer to objects?
Yup static lines are green. The moving guidelines are orange and move with your steering wheel, so when you are reversing into a space you can line the space up with the turn of your wheel and adjust accordingly as you move. The static lines are fixed and only help if/when you are in line 100%. The static lines are pretty useless to be honest. Highline also gives you some parking modes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2VKHzaQ9ic - LOWLINE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCriayhiwU - HIGHLINE (shown on a Tiguan, but it's exactly the same as the Golf)

:)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2019, 12:20 »
Hmmm haven’t got the parking/tow hitch part on mine

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 06 March 2019, 09:15 »
Hmmm haven’t got the parking/tow hitch part on mine

You need a factory fitted tow bar for that to be active.

Lots of stuff in the manual. 😉
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 06 March 2019, 10:51 »
I have got a factory fitted towbar, highline camera and park assist
« Last Edit: 06 March 2019, 11:00 by Vwjap »

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 06 March 2019, 17:56 »
Sorted it, programmed it up as a lowline
Reprogrammed and

Offline Pretzel

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #36 on: 08 March 2019, 16:32 »

Yup static lines are green. The moving guidelines are orange and move with your steering wheel, so when you are reversing into a space you can line the space up with the turn of your wheel and adjust accordingly as you move. The static lines are fixed and only help if/when you are in line 100%. The static lines are pretty useless to be honest. Highline also gives you some parking modes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2VKHzaQ9ic - LOWLINE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCriayhiwU - HIGHLINE (shown on a Tiguan, but it's exactly the same as the Golf)

:)

Excellent, thank you.

Offline trueblue_ips

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2019, 11:21 »
Would getting this retrofitted mean the car has been modified and has to be declared to insurance companies as such?

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2019, 12:40 »
Would getting this retrofitted mean the car has been modified and has to be declared to insurance companies as such?

In theory then absolutely yes, at an extreme you could say an insurance company might consider the increased cost of replacement parts as worthy of extra premium or they could say anything retrofitted might have other potential issues such as non factory wiring being an increased fire risk.

In practice, it’s a “standard” VW part and unlikely an insurance company assessor would bat an eyelid at it if you’d been rear ended.
Unless you get a real jobsworth who goes through the factory build sticker in the boot.
In which case “it must’ve been a misbuild at the factory mate”
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2019, 14:34 »
I wouldn't even tell your insurance company, just be another excuse to extract more money from you for absolutely no reason.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.