Author Topic: Mk2 - Upgrade speakers or make my own mounts?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline WhiteMk2Gti

• GTI forum regular
Mk2 - Upgrade speakers or make my own mounts?
« on: 09 March 2006, 21:29 »
Should i upgrade my speakers in the standard rear mounts or make some mdf mounts that fit between the rear arch and lights? Would the sound quality be ok hidden by the parcel shelf?
You know you want to, you dont realise it yet!

Offline GolfChick24

• Here all the time
Re: Mk2 - Upgrade speakers or make my own mounts?
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2006, 10:12 »
There is imo no need to upgrade those rear speakers I would concentrate your efforts on getting some decent components up front and a sub in the rear. Sound wise the ears hear best from the front due to the fact thats the way they face, there is a huge debate about whether to bother with 6x9s too because sound wise you cant really tell the difference, however, then you have to think about surround sound, the ears can hear 360 but obviously the strongest sound comes form the front which is why you should concentrate on components. Having ran both 6x9s previously and now not running anything apart form a sub in the back, i cant really tell the difference and I have very good hearing being a musician.

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2006, 11:17 »
oh listen to golf chick hahah
gotta say though totally agree with all thats said above, if u fit 6x9s they will be fighting for the air that the sub uses and it causes distortions etc, stick with top set of components up fronts and depending on the type of music u listen to a decent sub

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline GolfChick24

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2006, 15:25 »
oh listen to golf chick hahah....

......yeah

Offline Dizzie

• Forum addict
  • Make friends with your fast
« Reply #4 on: 10 March 2006, 20:24 »
but no, but yeah :D
Mk4 Golf 150PD

Offline WhiteMk2Gti

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2006, 11:34 »
running sub in boot, but was told to run 2 way 6x9s (since sub takes care or bass), however i do understand the point of running components up front but dont want door or kick builds.
You know you want to, you dont realise it yet!

Offline monzablue16v

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2006, 12:17 »
Ideally you want a sub in the boot with the crossover set to the level of the bass blockers usually 50-60hz, a pair of 6x9s on the rear shelf with bass blockers in so they will give you the mid and top for the rear stage which will be needed. Fitting speakers under the shelf will not work very well as mid and treble is directional unlike bass, up front replace the dash speakers and add a set of components to the front doors that will give you a nice full sounding system. :)

Probably got lost in the "Great Crash of 08

Offline j_s

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2006, 11:42 »
If you want speakers in the back and a sub as well then protect the speakers by either building an enclosure for them out of mdf (to stop the air movement from the subs affecting them) or use a margarine tub (yes you read it right and it works!!)
James