Author Topic: sub was working.. now it isn't! help!  (Read 1970 times)

Offline whileoceanasleeps

• I live here
  • patience comes to those who wait.
sub was working.. now it isn't! help!
« on: 19 March 2013, 16:24 »
wondering if anyone can help with my missing bass problem!

wired in my FLI 1200 sub with a brand new wiring kit and it was all working fine for a few weeks but this week i have no sub? in the past few days it has flicked on twice for about 5 seconds a time but that's it.

the sub doesn't seem to be turning on and i can't work out why..

15amp fuse is ok
big 60 amp fuse is ok. turned on power and wiggled the connections here but no good.
haven't changed any connections. it's grounded to the grounding bolt under the back seat. tried removing the remote cable but still no power! stereo turns on fine.

can anyone please help!!? thanks

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
Re: sub was working.. now it isn't! help!
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2013, 23:24 »
Unplug your remote line from the head unit side and bridge the remote and positive on your amp. If it turns on you know it's your remote line. It's also worth making sure there is a metal to metal contact where you've attached your earth. If there's paint in the way you won't get a good connection.
1999 1.8t AGU, KNN Panel filter, Smoothed air box, Custom CAI, Forge 007 dv, REVO stage 1, 3" eBay TBE. Audi TT quickrack.

To come - A DIY hybrid K03 and a whole lot of supporting mods!

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2013, 23:43 »
Unplug your remote line from the head unit side and bridge the remote and positive on your amp. If it turns on you know it's your remote line. It's also worth making sure there is a metal to metal contact where you've attached your earth. If there's paint in the way you won't get a good connection.

thanks ill try that tomorrow mate

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2013, 23:52 »
That remote wire essentially tells your amp to turn on mate, your head unit sends power down it when the head unit is switched on.
1999 1.8t AGU, KNN Panel filter, Smoothed air box, Custom CAI, Forge 007 dv, REVO stage 1, 3" eBay TBE. Audi TT quickrack.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2013, 00:08 »
That remote wire essentially tells your amp to turn on mate, your head unit sends power down it when the head unit is switched on.

yeah i get that, i unplugged the remote from the sub end to see if the remote was causing the problem. if you are not using a remote cable is bridging the remote connection to the + connection on the sub the normal thing to do?

Offline gm8

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2013, 08:32 »
yeah , but that way it is always on (but you you could run a switch inline)

Offline beppe2672

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2013, 10:20 »
You'd have to put a switch in, otherwise your amp would be constantly on and you'd end up with a flat battery!

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2013, 11:23 »
so I bridged the remote terminal to the + terminal... and we have sub! restripped the end of the remote cable and connected it and it works, hurrah! I probably didn't strip enough from te remote cable when I installed it, hence the sub wasn't getting any voltage to turn on.

so good to have my bass back!  :smiley: thanks for the help guys