Author Topic: Richard Lloyd Racing MK1 - Updating Broken Pics From Page 1 And Adding New Works  (Read 374552 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - MK1 Black From The Dead (Mahoosive Update Time)
« Reply #230 on: 10 September 2010, 11:47 »
Its a right b!tch when you work like this, You cant see the rest of the stuff behind the car and when it rains you have to cover the car and pack everything away FAST!  happened a few times this week!  (i bet Dan and his wagon know what thats like!)

As posted earlier when i first fitted the coilovers i was unhappy with the rear, i couldnt get a decent ride height without problems!  The main one was with the little amount of weight on the rear, a low ride height would end up with the cars weight resting on the helper springs which made the car bouncy as fook.. Also i just chucked them on without doing the airlock thing you're supposed to do to the dampers before fitting! And in the panic to get her on the road i started taking short cuts and didn't service the inner arches like i did the front and still hadn't taken off the last part of the body kit covering the N/S arche. Off it all came!

found some rust too!   :angry:

It was just the lip that was dodgy and the kit covers it... not the point though as the kit screws to the lip and I need it to be strong and for the rust not to spread.  ground all the sh*t off, treated the rust 5 times until all i could see was clean metal and had to resort to epoxy metal to fill up the gaps.  will do for now, be ok once sanded down and painted but will be keeping an eye on it, new metal welded in soon me thinks.

Also scrubbed the inner arches to death!

Got the old black stuff out to keep them nice!!!

« Last Edit: 10 September 2010, 11:51 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #231 on: 10 September 2010, 11:55 »
PS... starting to feel the love on here now... thanks, it helps keep me going!

Took the rear coilovers to bits, removed the helper springs so i could wind them up without affecting the height but make the car sit on the proper springs!... its loads better now and when jacked up the spring is still under tension..  :smiley:

« Last Edit: 10 September 2010, 13:48 by SoundillusioN »

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #232 on: 10 September 2010, 12:08 »
MORE UPDATES!!! or GTFO!!....
and do some more work and get us more updates!  :grin:

Great work so far mate, really coming together now  :cool:

What's left on your evergrowing list?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #233 on: 10 September 2010, 12:15 »
MORE UPDATES!!! or GTFO!!....
and do some more work and get us more updates!  :grin:

Great work so far mate, really coming together now  :cool:

What's left on your evergrowing list?
It's clearing up outside, will be back out there shortly!  Quite a bit to do, will repost my list later on once ive figured out whats left... another update coming in 1 minute!  :grin:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #234 on: 10 September 2010, 12:17 »
Took the rear brakes to bits... were mint and working perfectly so even though i have replacements for everything i have left them for now, just changed the wheel bearings on both sides just for peace of mind as its been stood for so long!...

The fronts were OK too with only a small lip on the discs and the pads were still really thick.. wasnt happy about the corrosion though and again I had bought replacements for everything so thought i may as well change it all.  I made an error though, because of the hybrid setup i had taken the pads out on one side to make sure i bought the right ones (it has been 6 years!).  forgot about it and had pressed the brake pedal recently, piston on that side was up against the disc!.. doh!..  opened the bleed nipple for it and pushed it back in with a G clamp, pushed it in and pumped it back out a few times (painfully slow) to make sure it was ok, reapeted this on both sides, pistons are mint!...  Cleaned up the calipers, bled the entire system and fitted new wheel bearings, discs and pads.

Old Grooved 256mm disc

New Vented, Drilled and grooved MK2 16v discs/pads with a Corrado G60 Caliper clinging on to it!

« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 02:36 by SoundillusioN »

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #235 on: 10 September 2010, 13:21 »
Wow! Thats some progress you've made this week! I bet you can't wait to get back behind the wheel again! :smiley:

With the coilovers, in theory will removing the rear helper springs improve the ride?

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #236 on: 10 September 2010, 13:42 »
Wow! Thats some progress you've made this week! I bet you can't wait to get back behind the wheel again! :smiley:

With the coilovers, in theory will removing the rear helper springs improve the ride?
Thanks.... I wanna do more today but it keeps fecking raining!...  No i cant wait, i'm gonna have to bite the bullet soon, finish up and see if the MOT station laugh at me or not! otherwise this could go on forever! its a second car these days but i cant let it sit any longer!.. I'll have to worry about it looking pretty later!

As far as helper springs go the answer is no unless you have the same problem as me.  In theory the helper springs should be fully compressed with the weight of the car, this means all the work will be done by the main springs and they should only expand when the car is jacked up.  My problem was that with the ride height i wanted (which isnt actually that low) the helpers springs were not fully compressed which meant the rear was bouncing around on skinnier springs when it shouldnt be.

Offline VR6_Wherry

• Forum addict
« Reply #237 on: 10 September 2010, 13:53 »
What's the milage on this then seeing as it's been locked away for 6 years!!  :shocked:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #238 on: 10 September 2010, 14:02 »
What's the milage on this then seeing as it's been locked away for 6 years!!  :shocked:
Exactly 130k.... sounds bad but its not really, she's getting on for 28 years old and that works out at what.... 4.5k a year?  Its a stage 3 RLR engine and could do with a bit of head work one day to make it sweet but there's no smoke and seems to run fine.. well, she needs a tune up..  don't think all the horses are there.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2010, 14:24 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #239 on: 10 September 2010, 14:10 »
Oh and this old girl got to 193k before the gearbox gave in..  :laugh: