Author Topic: reving but not going  (Read 826 times)

Offline golfin1984

• Not said much yet
reving but not going
« on: 21 January 2012, 02:42 »
Hi, I have a mk4 gti turbo which i brought around two weeks ago.

The issue started a few hours ago and i'm not entirely sure what it is. When reving hard in second and third gears the rev counter goes up but the acceleration doesnt respond and instead it just gives me high revs. When I brought the car the clutch seemed fine and even still the biting point is mid range, not at all high.

Has anyone experienced this? If so what is the problem?

Any help would be appreciated im really afraid its going to be a big bill.

An aditional thing that should be noted is that earlier on today after driving home from work my key fob just stopped working and I was unable to lock the car. I assumed it was just a dead battery in my fob however it was just the leads connecting to my battery which I attempted to tighten but since it was dark I wasn't that effective. Ive done it enough to get it working again but do you think this could be related to the reving issue?

Many thanks

Offline golfin1984

• Not said much yet
Re: reving but not going
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2012, 02:46 »
also getting an odd smell at the time which again gives me suspicion of a slipping clutch but surely it can't be because the bite point is so low!?!

Offline Gavin88

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2012, 06:56 »
Might sound silly but have you tried driving up a hill in 3rd gear and putting your foot right down? If your clutch is slipping it'll rev like mad
Mk4 golf gti

Offline Big Tone

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2012, 06:57 »
also getting an odd smell at the time which again gives me suspicion of a slipping clutch but surely it can't be because the bite point is so low!?!

Sounds like the clutch is on its way out

****FOR SALE**** 11 Months MOT, 5 Months Tax - 1.8T AUM, Stage 1 map, Lowered 35mm on Jamex Springs, Smoothed Airbox, Pipercross Panel, Forge 007P, N249 Bypass, Silicon Breather Hoses,Silicon Vac Hoses, Top Mounts & Bushes All Round, Catch Can Install,  New Discs and Pads All Round, A Big Sub, A SH*TLOAD of Polishing and A Thirst For V-POWER! Profile/msg for info!

Offline palmtree

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2012, 10:13 »
Definitely sounds like the clutch is on it's way, before my golf I had a passat v6 4mo and when the clutch went in that it didn't effect the biting point

Offline porter_89

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2012, 11:19 »
i got the same problem mate on full boost mine slips like mad im going for solid flywheel and vr6 clutch a good upgrade on the 1.8t
1.8t-aum-stage 1 remap wagen worx-CAI-demon motorsport TIP-black forge 007P,H.I.D's 6000k-front badgless bonnet bra-r32 reps(selling soon)-m3 rear lights,dropped on JOM coilovers with fk drop links-3" turbo back exhaust-FMIC ordered SOLD SOLD SOLD

to do:
Bbs lm reps want now haha r32 wheels for sale soon pm me if interested

Offline golfin1984

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2012, 11:42 »
what kind of costs am i looking at?

ur putting an mk3 vr6 clutch on ur 1.8? Is that a straight fit?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot

Offline AD1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2012, 12:25 »
I just paid 200 for labour an 205 + vat for parts and its a friggin awesome improvement ...... My clutch was doing as above for about 2 months though lol and now its that light you can hardly feel theres a pedal there lol