Author Topic: agains my better judgement...  (Read 833 times)

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
agains my better judgement...
« on: 31 July 2006, 22:44 »
Hi guys

Considering selling my lifes ambition.  I have read just now that loadsa people are thinking of selling.  Anyway, What sort of money do you recknon I could get for my golf.
It is a;

1981 MK1 1600 GTi

Bare shell photo restoration last year

Re-sprayed Madison Blue (not VW, nearly black)

G60 Steels 195/50VR15 NCT5s

Cross Drilled Discs with Pagid Fast Road pads

Metal brake lines

Recently returned to standard ride height with 15mm lowering front cups (at last have got rid of the bl**dy understeer!!!)

Poly bushes

Perspex windows (still have the glass)

Black and Grey strip interior with new headlining (mint)

Tilt and Slide sunroof

Original rebuilt FM code 5 speed close ratio box (out drag anything...)

Engine (EG code)

Block has been ground (to incress compression), max over-board, new shells, pistons, lightened and ballanced (inc. clutch and flywheel and bottom pulley)

Head and Manifolds have been ported, polished, port matched and flowed (with print out to prove) new valves and guides cut back to aid flow, valve heads machined and multi angled for max flow and sealing, machined to accept TSR 103 Cam

Audi 2.3 Thottle body with modified inlet manifold

No warm up bypass valve

Catch tank

VW motorsport air box

Full Magnex 4 into 1 exhaust

Electric water pump with thermostatic control

New everything, starter, dizzy, alternator, coil, lights, you get the idea

Cut off in it's prime making 110bhp at the wheels @ the limiter (now removed)
(about 140 @ the crank, with guestmate at 150+ now limiter has been removed)

Flat as a fart below 2500rpm, comes on cam at 5000rpm and is waaaaaay too addictive, hey you didn't think I spent all this money to drive like Aunt Daisy?  Yes I do warm her up before the second buterfly gets opened.

AND THE BIT I AM MOST PROUD OF, after nearly 90 hours of blood, sweet and about 6'000'000 nervous break downs, a servo/master cylinder assy. in front of the driver, no wan*y linkages, I did it because everyone said I couldn't.  Does it work?  See my mate 'hovering' held by his seatbelt and I showed him how good the brakes are says yes.  Would I reccomend any one else try it?  er no, unless you feel the need to go bald...

Reasons to sell

I asked a mate who owns a body shop to spray it, big mistake, I am not the sort of person to complain to mates, the respray is good, but not flawless (I see things when I clean it :cry:)

I drive like I am 17 again :evil:, I can't help it, had a play with a VR6 the other day and it only drew level and passed me after 85mph.  Oh it will pull its self off the clock, easily, on the flat.

Please tell me I am mad to even consider selling, I know I have no way of getting even half of what I spent on it back.

Cheers

kraM

PS  I am a mechanic, so no labour costs, well nearly my wife...

It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...

Offline gibby

• Forum addict
  • Champions of Europe,ooh ,just the five times then!
Re: agains my better judgement...
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2006, 09:28 »
That sounds like a pretty good spec and a lot of toil on your part so I'd say yup, you're mad to sell ! :grin: But I guess all good things must come to an end but with the spec I've absolutely no idea what you could get for it, it could be anywhere between 3 - 5k possibly more if you get someone who really wants it.
......now officially dubless.

Offline Mk1Mad J - 16v

• I live here
  • At my age I don't have to act responsibly...
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2006, 10:21 »
 :rolleyes: When my mate sold his it took many miserable years to get over it, he's happy again now, he bought another one :smiley:

Enjoy what ever inferior car you replace it with, and best of luck finding one as good as yours when you realise your mistake  :wink:

"Ever since I started to surf, I have realized that golf is for people who don't know how to surf."  -- Tiger Woods.

my dub project:-
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35338.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyEUOoH_xxo

Offline kraM

• Here all the time
  • It's not the speed, it's the sudden stops...
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2006, 10:27 »
Cheers for the warming comments, maybe i'll hold off, unless something really tempting comes long...

kraM
It's not the speed... it's the sudden stops...