Author Topic: Pan roof - differing information  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Pan roof - differing information
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2020, 14:22 »
I have driven both back to back, on taking my new car on a test drive and when I picked it up. All I noticed was the fuel guage going down quicker on the new one :laugh:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2020, 14:32 »
I have driven both back to back, on taking my new car on a test drive and when I picked it up. All I noticed was the fuel guage going down quicker on the new one :laugh:

:grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2020, 14:43 »

:grin: Scientific proof!

Meant to reply to this thread first thing this morning but had just finished a night shift and was too tired.

Rewind back to 2013/4 and there was a lot of wondering why the pan roof and 19’s couldn't be be specced in the UK together.
Conspiracy theories were that the harder ride would crack the glass due to less shell rigidity but eventually VW said it would cause the car to slip into a higher emissions bracket.
Over the lifetime of the model the tax rules changed and with the facelift refresh the two options could be specced together.

Yeah, there might be a slight weight distribution penalty but in real world driving not one you’d likely notice as others have said. Tyre pressure variations would be far more noticeable. 

Maybe a slight reduction in torsional rigidity with it open?

On a tall, narrow and short car like an up! GTI (with its more basic and compromised suspension) it would probably be noticeable if you drove two cars back to back with and without.
On a hefty Golf... nah!
« Last Edit: 28 March 2020, 14:46 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline TippEx

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2020, 15:15 »
As has been said before here, I'm pretty sure that the combination of pan roof with 19s on the 7 was due to weight putting it into a different VED tax band.  I was unable to spec the 19s on mine, but I was also pricing up an R at the same time on which I could spec 19 prets with the sunroof (high spec GTI won out over a more basic spec R, dont regret it).

As it is, I've run mine with modified slightly stiffer suspension aftermarket 18s with an overall lower profile.  No issues at all.

I'd spec the pan roof every time if I were to buy again.
2016 GTI PP.  Mountune52 Stage 1

Offline atlasgrey

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2020, 20:23 »
I’ve done the usual search on here. There seems to be a few posts with conflicting info on the 19s and pan roof combo, some stating it’s not advisable but there seems to be plenty for sale with the 2 options together.

Also some of the YouTube reviews suggest the additional weight high up in the car can really be felt in the handling

Any thoughts?

I like my pan roof, no idea if the weight is noticeable. Can’t see it making any real world difference, would be better off refusing any passengers
Corrado VR6, Mk2 Gti 8v, Up Gti (sold), Mk7.5 Gti TCR

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2020, 22:31 »
Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Maybe if the rest of the spec is right the roof isn’t a deal breaker