Author Topic: Pan roof - differing information  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Ashtons99

• Not said much yet
Pan roof - differing information
« on: 27 March 2020, 23:14 »
I’ve done the usual search on here. There seems to be a few posts with conflicting info on the 19s and pan roof combo, some stating it’s not advisable but there seems to be plenty for sale with the 2 options together.

Also some of the YouTube reviews suggest the additional weight high up in the car can really be felt in the handling

Any thoughts?

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: Pan roof - differing information
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2020, 08:13 »
Haven’t had one in the Golf but there has been lots of discussions about them on here including recent issues of cracked surrounds. They also can be a noisy in terms of creaking around the seals.

Personally, if I had the option I think sunroofs are great as it’s nice to get some fresh air, even just having them on tilt. I had a Merc with the full pan roof and used it most days. To me, most people who buy convertibles would probably be better off with a large sunroof.

The Golf seems to suffer a lot of wind noise with the side windows down and I’ve never been sure about the wind deflectors you can buy. To be fair, calling the one in the Golf panoramic is fairly debatable as it’s essential a normal sized sunroof with an extra large glass cover. So yes, it does add extra weight.

But would you be able to tell? Probably not. Unless you are buying the car as a track toy then surely it’s better to get the options you want and will get enjoyment from.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2020, 08:23 »
The Mk7 wasn’t available with pan roof and 19” wheels as a factory order. Mk7.5 was and unless you’re planning on using the car for competitive racing the additional weight makes no discernible difference to the driving experience whatsoever and does make an otherwise quite dark interior feel much brighter.
TCR 3 door

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2020, 08:46 »
I'm fairly sure that the reason the MK7 couldn't be specced with 19s and the sunroof (like Jim I think VW calling it a panoramic roof is a bit cheeky) was due to the extra weight and the emissions ie taking it out of it's bracket. I doubt VW give a monkeys about driving characteristics! As to that, in road driving I doubt the extra weight would really be noticed. Even though mine is damaged and awaiting repair, I'm very pleased with it, on the odd time I've been able to get it open it's been great, OH loves it too and it's even nice with it closed. As for creaks and groans, that's just the seals asking for some lubrication, same as the door seals. The only other point to bear in mind is to periodically check that the drain tubes aren't blocked. If you fancy getting the sunroof, just do it!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Will2018

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2020, 09:14 »
I never got this obsession people have about weight high up and not speccing the pan roof because of this. I think the internet makes us think we’re all track day racing drivers where these things may matter.
In reality, not once on a spirited country drive have I noticed the weight of the roof affecting turn in etc.

Offline Philip

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2020, 09:32 »
In reality, not once on a spirited country drive have I noticed the weight of the roof affecting turn in etc.

Agree, and if you look up you can see the squirrels  :wink:
TCR 3 door

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2020, 11:17 »
I never got this obsession people have about weight high up and not speccing the pan roof because of this. I think the internet makes us think we’re all track day racing drivers where these things may matter.
Agreed.  My Mk7 Clubsport has 19s and a pano sunroof.  The car is now 3 years old and I haven't had any problems so far (touch wood) and I certainly don't notice any difference in the ride/handling as a result of having it.  Having said that I don't track it and I've only done 4.5k miles so far.  :grin:

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2020, 13:02 »
How can people be so sure that the extra weight is not noticeable? Unless you drive 2 cars back to back, you'll never know.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2020, 13:44 »
How can people be so sure that the extra weight is not noticeable? Unless you drive 2 cars back to back, you'll never know.

Think that's the point. Journos drive different cars every single day and can probably tell which is why they think they have to mention it. But for most people, it really won't be noticeable on the commute to the office or trip to the shops. Most people don't often get to hoon their daily driver around on roads where it would even matter.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2020, 14:05 »

Think that's the point. Journos drive different cars every single day and can probably tell which is why they think they have to mention it. But for most people, it really won't be noticeable on the commute to the office or trip to the shops. Most people don't often get to hoon their daily driver around on roads where it would even matter.

Yes, I agree- differences likely to be small- but I think people with extensive experience of driving both versions probably can feel it. Whether that's important is another question entirely.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.