Author Topic: Premium/Mid Range v Economy Tyres  (Read 5079 times)

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
Re: Premium/Mid Range v Economy Tyres
« Reply #30 on: 29 March 2020, 19:10 »
When I bought my current GTI it came with a pair of half-worn Bridgestones on the rear, which I assumed were the originals, and a pair of almost new Kumhos on the front.

Within a month I had improved the ride, handling and wet grip by replacing them all with Michelin PS4's at Costco.

My son recently bought his first GTI, a Polo.  Which came with a pair of Bridgestones on the rear, a Landsail on the offside front, and something round and black on the nearside front.  This afternoon we spent an hour or so at Costco having a set of Michelin PS4's fitted.

Mine lasted for 23,000 miles on the front, and I had them replaced a couple of months ago.  Costco policy is to put the new tyres on the rear, and they won't be persuaded otherwise.  So the rears, which are probably half worn, are now on the front, and will probably be replaced next year.

My (part time) job is in the motoring media, and I have access to just about every car magazine worth reading from around the world, many of which run tyre tests, and the best of these is Auto Motor und Sport in Germany.  The Germans take their tyres very seriously, and they rate the Michelins, along with Continental and Uniroyal highly.  The late, great Brian Ricketts, whose knowledge of, and advice on GTI's was worth listening to, always rated Uniroyals highly - his view was that they weren't a "fashionable" tyre, but they were very good in the wet, and therefore ideal for use in the UK.

Each to their own, but take advice from those who actually know what they're talking about.  There's nothing to be gained from buying the latest super-sticky track day specials and then finding yourself understeering towards what Martin Brundle refers to as "the scene of the accident" when you encounter a tricky right-hander on a cold, wet winter morning.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #31 on: 29 March 2020, 23:37 »
^^^^ Great post Dr Mike  :smiley:

As ever, Mr Ricketts had a sound and eminently sensible viewpoint.
The Master himself.

What do you do in your work with motoring media related things? Must be a fascinating line of work.

Back on topic. I’m one of those people that hates, and is always suspicious, if there’s a lot of hype around a product.
The Michelin PS4S had a LOT of hype surrounding them from the very start. For once it was entirely justified and I’ve never been so impressed with a set of tyres as I was with the PS4S I put on my Ed40 in 30 odd years of driving hot(tish) hatches.
I’m far from a driving God and probably drive far more like an old lady now as opposed to my boy racer youth but in all areas where it counts the PS4S are fantastic all rounders. 
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #32 on: 30 March 2020, 09:05 »
You have to  :laugh: I had a set of MPS4S tyres fitted on Friday. Replaced Continental 5s.

By Kwikfit mobile  :evil As is happens the guy did a way better job than any tyre centre, finishing off with a torque wrench etc.

Irony  :rolleyes:   I only drove it 5 yards into the garage where it will stay until??????? :sad: But they felt brilliant  :laugh: :laugh:

Btw cost was £542 all in for 4 x 235/35/19 91Y The best I could find anywhere.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #33 on: 30 March 2020, 09:51 »
You have to  :laugh: I had a set of MPS4S tyres fitted on Friday. Replaced Continental 5s.

By Kwikfit mobile  :evil As is happens the guy did a way better job than any tyre centre, finishing off with a torque wrench etc.

Irony  :rolleyes:   I only drove it 5 yards into the garage where it will stay until??????? :sad: But they felt brilliant  :laugh: :laugh:

Btw cost was £542 all in for 4 x 235/35/19 91Y The best I could find anywhere.

That was a good price. I seem to recall paying £720 for 4x 225/35/19s on my GTI in 2018!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #34 on: 30 March 2020, 10:47 »
Yeah KF normally have good discounts on PS4's if you have two or more.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Blueskiesdz

• Not said much yet
« Reply #35 on: 30 March 2020, 16:21 »
Got the Falken f510’s in the end fitted to the new reifnitz reps I got from CM. Hopefully a reasonable choice between the high/low end tyres.

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #36 on: 30 March 2020, 22:42 »
I've had to put my space saver on as on the way home from work behind a tractor, out of the corner of my eye I saw something ping off one of the tractor tyres and not much after that I got a pressure loss warning. On inspection there was a 20mm jagged piece of metal in one of the centre grooves, will have to see if it is repairable and it's typical it's at the rear which still has 5.5mm (ish) of tread left rather than the front which do need replacing soon.

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #37 on: 31 March 2020, 08:27 »
^^^^ Great post Dr Mike  :smiley:

As ever, Mr Ricketts had a sound and eminently sensible viewpoint.
The Master himself.

What do you do in your work with motoring media related things? Must be a fascinating line of work.

Back on topic. I’m one of those people that hates, and is always suspicious, if there’s a lot of hype around a product.
The Michelin PS4S had a LOT of hype surrounding them from the very start. For once it was entirely justified and I’ve never been so impressed with a set of tyres as I was with the PS4S I put on my Ed40 in 30 odd years of driving hot(tish) hatches.
I’m far from a driving God and probably drive far more like an old lady now as opposed to my boy racer youth but in all areas where it counts the PS4S are fantastic all rounders.

Thanks - I work with a friend who has a Syndication Agency - basically, he can re-sell articles and photos from one publication to another, world-wide.  I run the finances, but (usually) spend a couple of mornings per week in the office, so I'm up to date on what's going on in the Automotive media world.  Many years ago I had another friend who was a freelance journalist and photographer, and I used to do some driving for "action shots", on road and track.  Which isn't as glamorous as it sounds.

I knew Brian Ricketts well, having been a customer of GTI Engineering and subsequently BR Motorsport for many years.  Lovely chap, very interesting to talk to, and made a lot of sense. 

Offline Zan

• Not said much yet
  • MK 7.5 GTi PP>Now MK 8 R-Line 150
« Reply #38 on: 31 March 2020, 18:36 »
Well the tyre is not repairable so factoring in the front's I have bit the bullet and having 4 Michelin PS4S fitted tomorrow.
Having to drive with the manky space saver which is not ideal at the mo but unfortunately no other option as either bugger all places open locally or ones that were had to order them in.