Author Topic: PP Retrofit  (Read 4281 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: PP Retrofit
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2020, 16:00 »
I'd say most people upgrade because they think they look better and the large GTI logo'd ones do look a lot better.

There aren't many places you can fully test a car's brakes to the limits on the road and to be honest, that style of driving is only useful on a track.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 26 March 2020, 17:36 »
I'd never shy away from having better stoppers.

You don't need to be racing, just being able to stop in a shorter distance is always a good plan.

I can't see the point of spending the money just for looks  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 26 March 2020, 17:48 »
I'd never shy away from having better stoppers.

You don't need to be racing, just being able to stop in a shorter distance is always a good plan.

I can't see the point of spending the money just for looks  :whistle:

And the GTI with the performance brakes manages that extremely well. Not sure about GTDs but the GTI certainly doesn’t need to stop any better unless you are planning more power or going on the track every weekend.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 26 March 2020, 18:22 »
My GTD stops pretty well with its standard brakes. Or at least it did when some idiot in an Astra estate pulled out right in front of me on a dual carriageway.

Having said that, my Otcy vRS had bigger brakes, and  I could certainly tell the difference.
7.5 GTD

Offline golf nutter

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2020, 17:14 »
i am impressed by the GTi's brakes...bit grabby at the top like most VAG overservo'd brakes but they are strong.  not sure i would need to change them for road use.
Mk7 GTi; Mk5 GTi; Mk4 GT TDI; Mk3 VR6; Mk1 GTi;
Mk1 GTi Sportline

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2020, 21:47 »
I'd say most people upgrade because they think they look better and the large GTI logo'd ones do look a lot better.

There aren't many places you can fully test a car's brakes to the limits on the road and to be honest, that style of driving is only useful on a track.

Agreed.
Reading sootchucker’s posts here I’d say the aesthetics were of more importance than ultimate stopping improvement (the latter being a positive byproduct) and I’m sure he’s far from alone.
Remembering back to 2013/4 many people ordered the PP as much for the brakes with the logo because they liked the look as for the benefits of the VAQ.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner