Author Topic: Hot Hatch Heaven- an old Pug and a new Golf  (Read 8791 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Hot Hatch Heaven- an old Pug and a new Golf
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2020, 16:32 »
@fredgroves. Well it wouldn’t win any quality awards, even against its contemporaries ( though I still say these cars are absolutely sound mechanically). Design awards it would win- i’d be happy with these seats in a mk8.

@cookiemonster. You could always buy some red carpet mats!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 21 March 2020, 11:55 »
Yusee, saw this and thought of you. Two pug garage? :laugh:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1185303

Looks good and with a nice increase in performance and handling!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 21 March 2020, 12:11 »
Yusee, saw this and thought of you. Two pug garage? :laugh:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1185303

Looks good and with a nice increase in performance and handling!

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a second- one to keep original, one to modify. I could do with better brakes and a suspension refresh tbh.
Nice looking car but I doubt he'll get close to what he's asking
A nice red one on auction through Coys auctioneers last month- 1988 1.9 with around 70k and fully restored. That car was bought at auction for around £19k a few years ago, estimate this time was around £11-13.
I'm interested to see what it fetched.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2020, 12:12 by Yusee »

Offline Jason b

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 21 March 2020, 14:21 »
Very nice 205 Lush . I had two also
a grey d plate 1.9 and a J reg white 1.9 I had to sell that due to a job with substantial commuting . Ended up with a 106 diesel  :cry:

friend of mine had a intergrale and he traded it for a Toyota people carrier  :grin: how I like to remind him of that  :rolleyes:
Night blue MK7 GTI keyless winter pack nav camers etc very partial to a Ducati and a Fs1e.A serial Le Mans 24 attendee 13 starts in a row to date

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 21 March 2020, 17:27 »
Very nice 205 Lush . I had two also
a grey d plate 1.9 and a J reg white 1.9 I had to sell that due to a job with substantial commuting . Ended up with a 106 diesel  :cry:

friend of mine had a intergrale and he traded it for a Toyota people carrier  :grin: how I like to remind him of that  :rolleyes:

Integrale to a people carrier- that's one hell of a swap!
In fact the reason I sold my (first) 205 was because I was going up and down the motorway at the time- went from the smallest car I've owned to the biggest- swapped it for an Alfa 164!

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 30 September 2020, 11:55 »
PS4s on the golf

Just an update on my ownership experience if anyone's interested.
I've got a fairly well set routine with when I use each car- the golf 4 days a week for work, the Peugeot for pretty much anything else- so my cricket kit stays in the boot and I use it to go to games, and for any other recreational activity.
Occasionaly I have the pleasure of having to decide which to take- generally I prefer the Peugeot because it's more fun more of the time ( the exception is on a route with fast bends where the golf is brilliant). Secondly, unlike the golf, the bodywork isn't pristine, so I'm not too worried where I park ( I will never take the golf to a supermarket).
That changed about 2 weeks ago when I had a brand new set of PS4s on the golf. I was quite happy with the bridgestones- certainly until recent months. I would just slow down in cold and wet conditions, and accept that the tyres were poor for those conditions- but in summer months, in the dry- they were fine.
Changing to PS4s has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the golf. So much so that , for the first time since I bought the pug, I'm picking the golf over the pug when I have the choice.
Ok, so I can't do a direct comparison- I'm comparing new michelins with worn BSs- but the PS4s stick and pull the car along far better than the BSs ever did. It can be quite exhilarating on a fast A road with some fairly tight bends. Ride is better too. Can't say there's any difference in road noise though.
It's 2 years since I ordered the golf. I wouldn't change anything if I were to order again- great car, love the colour, standard spec gives me everything I need, haven't used dynaudio to its potential ( but I've no regrets about speccing it) and at 28k I'm pretty happy with what I paid for it- looking at price of the slightly better mk8!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 30 September 2020, 12:35 »
I'm interested! Sounds a shame for your Pug but good that you are enjoying the GTI. The PS4S I swapped to on my PP from Pirellis were a big improvement, eliminated tramping and better grip in all conditions plus quieter and more comfortable. The Pirellis on my new car are an updated P-Zero and are better than the ones I had before but not as good as the PS4S, I'll wear them out as they aren't bad but it'll be great when I do get to swap them.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 30 September 2020, 13:10 »
Thanks Watts. Don’t worry, the pug is equally precious and gets plenty of use.
I would’ve had PS4S if they were available in 18s, but I can’t imagine there would be too much noticeable difference.
There have been some interesting threads on tyres recently, previously I think the PS4 was the default upgrade- so i was always set to get those.
Hope you’re enjoying your TCR

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #28 on: 30 September 2020, 15:32 »
I’m certainly interested too. The back stories about cars and their owners are always good reading.

It’s great the the Pug gets so much use and actually good to read that it’s not a totally pampered show worthy example but rather a much more down to earth example that gets out and about and used how it should be.

The PS4S were the only tyres on my shopping list for the Ed40 after being forum brainwashed and I wasn’t disappointed in the slightest. Superb allrounders and would have been #1 item on my list of tyres for the TCR once the front Pirellis hit 3mm. I’m sure the PS4’s are only marginally different to the level you’d be unlikely ever to notice in normal use as compared to the PS4S had they been available in 18” flavour.

In Southern Europe the Bridgestones would probably be fine all year round tyres but the Michelins seem to suit our climate better for year round use. Most of the rest of Europe use winter tyres for a significant part of the year so maybe the Bridgestones are better rated there as pure summer tyres.

It’s reassuring to see the thread title is still 100% apt!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 30 September 2020, 15:39 »
It is good to see the 205 being used. I'm too precious about my Golf and it never seems to get taken out. Yet again, I had all good intentions to use it this year, but as per normal, less that 100miles have been added  :cry:

Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.