Author Topic: Hot Hatch Heaven- an old Pug and a new Golf  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Hot Hatch Heaven- an old Pug and a new Golf
« on: 10 September 2019, 18:28 »
So after a brief hijacking of the "what have you done" thread, just thought I'd post some pics of the 205 GTi I bought last week, as requested by Exonian ( and after I'd worked out how to use postimage)

I bought a 7.5 Performance last December- the first brand new car I have ever bought.
It has been a hugely satisfying ownership experience - a brilliant car in every way- fast, great fun, comfortable, practical and cheap (so far) and has reminded me of why I have always loved hot hatches.
It also brought back memories of my first few years of car ownership- when I owned 2 Peugeot hot hatches.
And now I've bought another one!
Here's a few pics I had on my phone- i'll try and get some pics of the 2 cars together at some point.

And he's the Golf- in moody Isaac Blue-

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Hot Hatch Heaven- an old Pug and a new Golf
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2019, 18:53 »
Hot hatch heaven indeed :afro: :afro:
Thanks for persevering and posting the photos up.
What a cracking couple of cars and what a choice of which to use each day.
 :smiley:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2019, 19:21 »
Love the 205’s

Considered getting one last year but the cost stopped me.

Would have loved the TCR I have coming to have red carpets like my mates old 205. But maybe I am alone on that  :grin:
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2019, 21:02 »
Hot hatch heaven indeed :afro: :afro:
Thanks for persevering and posting the photos up.
What a cracking couple of cars and what a choice of which to use each day.
 :smiley:

Many thanks. School runs in the 205 tomorrow- I love the smell of petrol fumes in the morning!

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2019, 08:53 »
Looks great. Remember having a blast in a mate's E reg 1.9 GTI about 20 years ago and the thing was so light, the throttle so responsive. Bet it still feels great and makes the Golf feel a bit heavy and artificial? Wouldn't like to be hit in the side by a Rangie though!
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2019, 10:20 »
Thanks Jim. Yes, it’s still brilliant fun to drive- throttle response is immediate, though it doesn’t feel as quick as I remember, probably because i’ve got used to cars with twice the power!
Been out this morning in it, on some greasy roads- the steering feel is unbelievable- I really had forgotten what proper steering felt like.
The golf does feel artificial- and I think that’s the real attraction of driving an older car- the real mechanical feel of it- but it certainly doesn’t feel heavy, not even after driving the pug. That golf is incredibly agile- that’s 30 years of chassis development I suppose!

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2019, 10:33 »
Looks like a nice example. My very first car that I bought with my own money back in 1996 was a Nova GTE, that I steadily 'modified' before writing it off after not paying attention to where I was going and smashing it into the back of a Vauxhall Carlton (with a tow bar!).  :embarrassed:

Then back in 2009 I bought an owned a mint BB 'Valver' as a second car for a couple of years, but I had to sell when I moved to London in 2011 and lost all my garage/storage space.

I miss both cars, but being brutally honest neither were that engaging to drive compared to modern standards. I think rose tinted nostalgia specs do play a part in all these emotional purchases.  :cool:
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2019, 11:04 »
I’m sure nostalgia does play a part, but that’s not the only reason people are interested in older cars.
Modern cars are better in almost every way than older cars- faster, handle better, more efficient, safer.
But more engaging??? No!
Beautiful looking mk2, btw.

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2019, 19:38 »
Few comparison pics, now I know how. Int technology brilliant...

Offline Steve07

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2019, 20:44 »
Love Isaac Blue on my GTI 7.5

So after a brief hijacking of the "what have you done" thread, just thought I'd post some pics of the 205 GTi I bought last week, as requested by Exonian ( and after I'd worked out how to use postimage)

I bought a 7.5 Performance last December- the first brand new car I have ever bought.
It has been a hugely satisfying ownership experience - a brilliant car in every way- fast, great fun, comfortable, practical and cheap (so far) and has reminded me of why I have always loved hot hatches.
It also brought back memories of my first few years of car ownership- when I owned 2 Peugeot hot hatches.
And now I've bought another one!
Here's a few pics I had on my phone- i'll try and get some pics of the 2 cars together at some point.

And he's the Golf- in moody Isaac Blue-