Author Topic: Clubsport s front discs  (Read 4257 times)

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
Clubsport s front discs
« on: 09 June 2020, 00:06 »
Looking at upgrading my front discs to the Clubsport s ones. Have done a search & found a couple of results but just looking to see if anyone has fitted these recently & how they have found them. Mainly I find stock discs rust like hell & the pads create a lot of dust so I'm going for better aesthetics & a slight improvement in performance. I will not be using the car on track so just for the road & from what I read the ebc yellow stuff pads seem to be a good option to go with also. Any advice
« Last Edit: 09 June 2020, 00:29 by N14ll »
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Clubsport s front discs
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2020, 13:08 »
Hi Niall, I had a PP before and now of course the TCR which has the CSS discs and pads. I had no problems in stopping power with the PP, for road use the CSS discs are probably not necessary and in fact for track use, not very good as they aren't in pairs so the venting is effectively the wrong way round on one side so early reports indicated they warp prematurely with track use. Cosmetically, the CSS discs are great! I've not tried any alternative pads so can only comment on standard ones, both of which seem to create a fair bit of dust albeit due to lockdown the TCR has seen little action. One other point, I think I read that the CSS are much lighter than standard discs but if that's important you might be wise to check that to be sure!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2020, 14:14 »
One other point, I think I read that the CSS are much lghter than standard discs but if that's important you might be wise to check that to be sure!

Ya from what I remember I think it's almost 1kg lighter per disc. Not a major amount but every little helps I guess. Hopefully they won't be as quick to rust either!
Not being in pairs is a bit crap like you said but under road driving conditions shouldn't effect things too much I'm hoping. If I was going to be track driving I'd definately go for a proper big break conversion but it's overkill for the road not to mention $$$😂
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2020, 14:23 »
Yes, the CSS will be fine on road. My PP once decided to slam the brakes on thinking I was about to rear end someone (I was about to change lanes, I wasn't asleep) and I can assure you the brakes are really strong!! So I'd say it is purely a cosmetic decision. Might be worth having a look at aftermarket discs, CSS ones can be quite pricey and some alternatives can look pretty good too.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2020, 14:54 »
Yes, the CSS will be fine on road. My PP once decided to slam the brakes on thinking I was about to rear end someone (I was about to change lanes, I wasn't asleep) and I can assure you the brakes are really strong!! So I'd say it is purely a cosmetic decision. Might be worth having a look at aftermarket discs, CSS ones can be quite pricey and some alternatives can look pretty good too.
Ya another option mentioned in the place I'm thinking of getting them was Vagbremtechnic grooved or J-Hook discs. Need to have a quick read up on these & decide as due to be done tomorrow
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2020, 19:58 »
I know it's been a few weeks since the OPs post, but just to say I got a complete set of MTEC discs (J-Hook) with their black coating on them with a full set of Mintex road pads for around £300 all in (this is for both front and rear). They've got loads of options on the site.

They also have different pad and/or coating options available and you could even get your pads from somewhere else but the discs have been spot on. Admittedly you don't get the reduction in weight that you get with the CSS discs but worth a look.

If you did go for the CSS front discs, I reckon they could do something on the rear that might match.

I'll admit I did the change purely for cosmetic reasons (hence the road pads) but they provide great braking without the extra noise you normally get with grooved discs etc.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 12 July 2020, 22:12 »
I know it's been a few weeks since the OPs post, but just to say I got a complete set of MTEC discs (J-Hook) with their black coating on them with a full set of Mintex road pads for around £300 all in (this is for both front and rear). They've got loads of options on the site.

They also have different pad and/or coating options available and you could even get your pads from somewhere else but the discs have been spot on. Admittedly you don't get the reduction in weight that you get with the CSS discs but worth a look.

If you did go for the CSS front discs, I reckon they could do something on the rear that might match.

I'll admit I did the change purely for cosmetic reasons (hence the road pads) but they provide great braking without the extra noise you normally get with grooved discs etc.
Thanks for that, in the end I opted out of the css discs for the time being. Thinking of changing the pads &might look at metic stuff for sure.
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP