Author Topic: R32 vs S3 (Car Magazine Test-Blood Rivals)  (Read 9147 times)

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
R32 vs S3 (Car Magazine Test-Blood Rivals)
« on: 16 July 2007, 09:41 »
Just got me a copy of the latest edition of Car magazine and the front cover features a fall out between the Golf R32 and the Audi S3...

So...

To get rid of the suspense. The S3 won :grin: but only by the tip of its overlarge grill.  :drool:

So to cut a long story short. I noticed a few things about Car Magazine in general.

1. They are extremely biased against anything that involves a VW Badge.
2. They have a group of 4 old people who make a statement about the cars. And they all say that they like the R32 and the growl and this and that except for one who said he would rather have the Audi. And yet! The S3 wins?

Now I wanna go back to the ancient long dispute. GTI vs ST?
The ST also according to this magazine "beat" the rival, that being the GTI.

So, when i saw this article about the R32 vs S3 it brought back memories. Some things I feel I need to share. The first thing I have noticed about Car Magazine is that when they vs'd the ST and GTI every single picture they published (including the front cover) had the ST in front of the GTI. And guess what. The S3 in every (bar one small picture) was always in fron of the R32 including the front cover of the magazine. That is blatant bias. So I went on the net and found out that the photgraphers that took those pictures are two completely different people, therefore Car magazine is responsible for that bias. (Anyone seeing what I am heading at??)

So, next point. I spoke earlier about the panel of 4 old people called John and Marther and blah blah and in both articles they said that they like the GTI AND R32. So does that mean that they are sucking this out of the top of there thumbs because they like the cars and then make the rival win? Wheres the point in that??? its all bias!
In both articles the rival wins because of:
Ford Focus ST: "Its tacky ST badges and poor performance"
Audi S3: "Its the iconic hot hatch"   (Isnt that meant to be the GTI and not some Audi thingy?)

They claimed that the R32 had too little glamour. Because unlike the S3 it didnt feel like a race car.
D@mmit... Its not meant to be a race car. Its a MK5 Golf with a V6 Engine and all wheel drive with a few cosmetic changes. If I wanted a race car i would buy a Pagani Zonda (Excuse spelling) OR  if you dont have that much cash a RS4.

Its like saying you dont want to buy the GTI because its not as fast as you friends Enzo. I know I am ranting on about nothing but its the truth. I have vouched never to read a Car Magazine again.
So point out of this is. Dont give up your R32 or GTI (thats aimed at you ManuGTI) because you think that "he" said it was better and therefore it is. I have just realised that nowadays reading magazines is a waste of time. There are ploys and this article is the perfect example. For any of those who have the magazine at home. Read it carefully then go to your public library and go see the article they did on the GTI vs ST and you will see where I am coming from.

i have just vented my anger and will be writing the editors of this magazine a very long letter.  :evil:

Any one have any comments?

Mike :smiley:

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
Re: R32 vs S3 (Car Magazine Test-Blood Rivals)
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2007, 10:57 »
Get Evo instead :afro:

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2007, 11:56 »
We dont get Evo in South Africa.

We get:

Car Magazine
Topcar
Wiel (Afrikaans magazine)
GQ

And a few 4x4 magazines.

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #3 on: 16 July 2007, 13:16 »
Evo is the way to go!

:edit: fs Rhyso, beat me to it.

Offline Mattso

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2007, 13:35 »
On the ST vs GTI debate, I'll just chuck mine in:

I wanted a hot hatch and my finalists in my budget were these two cars.

I chose the GTI basically because of class and pedigree.  I have to arrive at meetings sometimes with some credibility.  The Golf allows that perfectly, the focus would undermine me.

Also, most hot hatch group tests show the GTI above the ST in the pecking order.
2005 (55) Golf GTi, MK5, Tornado Red, 18" Monza II's, 6 disc centre arm rest.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2007, 14:16 »
Evo is the way to go!

:edit: fs Rhyso, beat me to it.

:tongue:

Offline KINGS>

• Here all the time
  • Watch out for the guns.....
« Reply #6 on: 16 July 2007, 14:28 »
i prefere the audi on looks alone, the r32 sounds awesome but the audi wins on potential tuning too... I do agree an evo would be a sound choice having owned one however they are gash inside and feel cheap compared to german rivals

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2007, 14:52 »
i prefere the audi on looks alone, the r32 sounds awesome but the audi wins on potential tuning too... I do agree an evo would be a sound choice having owned one however they are gash inside and feel cheap compared to german rivals

i believe the term 'Evo' was used in reference to the superior car mag, not the car!
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2007, 15:07 »

i believe the term 'Evo' was used in reference to the superior car mag, not the car!

Spot on :afro:  speaking of which i do believe a new issue is due soon  :cool:

Not a fan of the Evo car  :grin: :grin:

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 July 2007, 16:01 »
Best car mag by miles. Been a subscriber for several years now.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership