Author Topic: boot won't open!  (Read 2702 times)

Offline jax

• Not said much yet
boot won't open!
« on: 21 April 2003, 00:14 »
ive got a big problem in that the boot on my j-reg 1.6 driver is stuck shut. the car came with remote central locking and although the central locking motor sounds as if it is working in the boot when the car is unlocked the boot itself stays locked.

it happened before and i seemed to fix the problem by turning the key in the boot's lock to the left slightly (although the key is not meant to turn in the lock either way thanks to the central locking). but now it has failed completely and i cant unlock my boot at all!

- can anyone help plz?
« Last Edit: 01 January 1970, 01:00 by 1055631600 »

Offline stoat

• GTI forum regular
Re: boot won't open!
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2003, 18:24 »
If you cant open it you will have to climb over the back and remove the cover, on the inside of your tail gate
MK3 GTI 8V

biz

« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2003, 18:59 »
I think you will have open the boot from the inside, just fold the seats down and take out the parcel shelf, the remove the black plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate (just 5 or 6 poppers). You will be able to see the inside of the boot lock and the should be a black or grey circular cam with a screw through the middle. This screws on to the boot lock, some time the screw comes loose or the locking washer corrodes and it comes loose and the cam swives round and misses the boot lock release when the tailgate button is depressed. The screw just needs be tightened and a new locking washer to be put on.
Cheers
Biz

Offline jax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2003, 21:58 »
cheers biz, ill try that. does anyone know whether the boot lock is powered by air or something else with central locking?

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2003, 02:20 »
   The boot lock has a failsafe designed into it,the key is supposed to turn in the lock and it depends on how you want it to open. When the slot in the lock is horizontal the lock is opened and closed by the central locking, When the slot is vertical the tailgate is locked all the time, and can only be opened by using the key in the lock. To unlock the tailgate put the key in the lock and turn it fully to the right, hold it in this position and press the lock button in, the tailgate will now open.
   The central locking system uses air and when you get the boot open using the above procedure you remove the panel on the boot and you'll see on the right a blue actuator, this is a vaccum solenoid and is what locks and unlocks the boot, On my car the boot lock didnt work and I found it was the little clip that holds the rod from lock to solenoid had come unclipped so when operated the arm was bending up not pushing. when clipped back on it worked fine, have a look and see what happpens when you look the car with the panel off and boot open.

Offline jax

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2003, 19:39 »
cheers modulater