Author Topic: ***** Monza II, as good as new *****  (Read 11386 times)

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
***** Monza II, as good as new *****
« on: 08 October 2008, 19:42 »
 Mr Teutonic Tamer was waffling about galvanic corrosion the other week,  :grin: and he mentioned that it would be a good idea to take all the wheels off, and wire brush the hub and the face in the wheel then give them and the bolts a  little coat of some anti seize paste.  :nerd:
So i thought the Monza’s need sealing and waxing, and can kill two birds with one stone . I got myself a trolley jack and some axle stands and started the job.  :lipsrsealed:
I took the wheels off two at a time and cleaned them.

I bought some muck off for the job but never needed to use it  i wash them regularly and any dirt and break dust came off no probs with just a little Megs shampoo plus. I then scrubbed the tyre walls 08 Micsta gave me this advice he reckons tyre dressing lasts a lot longer if you scrub them first so i did.  :drool:   

Once they were clean i dried them off and started to apply the chemical guys wheel guard i wanted to use the porboys stuff but was out of stock when i placed my order.  :cry:  I have never done this before so i can’t compare it to anything else but it went on easy and buffed off really quick.

While the first coat was drying a bit i went to the car and wire brushed the little hubs that the wheels locate on i used these ickle wire brushes for the job as it needed to be done gently and then gave them a good clean.

While i was there i gave my inner arches a good clean and the applied a thin coat of coppaslic .

I even sprayed the bolts with a thin coat.

I then buffed off the first coat of wheel sealant which came off easy so i gave them a further two coats front and back.  :nerd:  Here is the three products used.  :smiley:

I then gave the back of the wheels a further coat of colinite wax so hopefully brake dust should just rinse off no problem.
Finally i applied the tyre dressing for this i used  Chemical Guys gel : new look trim gel. Again i have only used cheap stuff before now so i had nothing to compare it against but i was really impressed with this stuff it went on lovely and hardly used a drop and it wasn’t messy at all so i give this a thumbs up.  I gave the wheels three coats of this it wasn’t required but i was enjoying  the application so got carried away.  :laugh:
Job done took a few final pics and then put them back on the car.

Offline SteveP

• I live here
Re: ***** Monza II, as good as new *****
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2008, 19:54 »
Good Work Mr Cat.

Nothing better than a clean and shiney set of Monza II  :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

NewGolf

« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2008, 20:09 »
Good work there TC, looking almost as clean and tidy as my 17"s!

Noticed that the dust cap is missing from one of your wheels bud. :wink:

Oh and next time you get the wheels off, spray the black plastic wheel liner with something like Megs All Season Dressing and it will look as good as new  :smiley:

Nice tidy garden, loving the lavenders!

PS next time spray the bolts on some newspaper, not on the brick paving !!!
« Last Edit: 08 October 2008, 20:11 by NewGolf »

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2008, 20:17 »
Cheer's for advice New golf the dust cap was off so i new which wheel went were.  :drool:
Your right about spraying the bolts.  :embarassed: i was rushing to get them back on before dark.  :rolleyes:

NewGolf

« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2008, 20:27 »
Cheer's for advice New golf the dust cap was off so i new which wheel went were.  :drool:
Your right about spraying the bolts.  :embarassed: i was rushing to get them back on before dark.  :rolleyes:

I have brick paving, and did exactly the same thing mate! I see why you took your valve cap off then to identify your wheels, I do the same but with the centre cap lol!

I rotate my fronts/rears every 6 months and replace all 4 tyres in one go. Some chaps on here may disagree, but all 4 of my tyres then have the same amount of wear and I gernerally trade the car in just as they need replacing hehe!

Offline 08micsta

• I live here
  • 1982 Mini 1275 Clubby
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2008, 16:13 »
Great work TC  :cool:

How is the tyre gel holding up?

Mike

The Ultimate Club for Mini Fanatics

Join our group now!

No PAS. No ESP. No DSC. No TCS. No ABS. Just my right foot between me and oblivion. Oh - And a seatbelt.

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2008, 16:42 »
Great work TC  :cool:

How is the tyre gel holding up?

Mike

:grin: :grin: :grin:  Its as good as new Micsta in fact if you read when i posted this you should be able to do the maths and work out it hasn't been on a day yet.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:

NewGolf

« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2008, 20:28 »
Bah, *cough* Zaino Z16 *cough*  :laugh:

Offline Top Cat

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2008, 20:47 »

That was out of stock as well when i placed my order. I will get some though MR Zaino.  :laugh:

Offline SteveP

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2008, 20:51 »

That was out of stock as well when i placed my order. I will get some though MR Zaino.  :laugh:

I am starting to think he's on commission or owns shares in Zaino  :tongue:  :laugh:

But he is right the Zaino stuff is top notch  :cool: