Author Topic: 16v fuel pump  (Read 1417 times)

Offline baxmant5

• Just got here
16v fuel pump
« on: 27 November 2016, 23:37 »
I've had my 16v for a couple of months. It's garaged while I sort out a few problems.

The first issue was no fuel pressure. The lift pump ran ok but nothing from the main pump. So I dropped the reservoir out of the car and replaced the pump with a brand new Bosch pump together with a new filter. Put it all back in a couple of weeks ago and the car started up  :smiley: but I only ran it for 60 secs cos I couldn't roll the car out the garage.

I came back to the car today and it won't start. The main fuel pump isn't running again! If I pop the cover off the fuel pump relay and close the switch I can hear the lift pump make a noise, but the main pump is doing nothing and no fuel pressure at the metering head.

12v is present at the pump terminals but the pump isn't turning. I've wiggled the wires and tapped the pump, but nothing.

Any thoughts please? How is it possible that a brand new pump can stop working after just 60 secs use? Does it suggest dirt in the fuel system, or a faulty pump?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: 16v fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: 28 November 2016, 16:16 »
Have you tried putting a seperate live and earth to the pump. If theres 12v at the pump the earth wire could be broken.
So earth it seperate and if it still doesnt work it rules it out.
Shouldnt think a fuel pumps given up if its brand new so thats where id look