Author Topic: Brand new or Leased  (Read 7937 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: Brand new or Leased
« Reply #30 on: 14 July 2017, 17:58 »
Hopefully all you renters/leasers and PCPers won't cause another recession as is predicted by many financial experts :whistle:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 14 July 2017, 18:36 »
Well it will be the buyers who suffer
most if we do cause that. We simply hand our cars back and have a chuckle at the loss VWFS will absorb, those who own will see the effect in their own pocket.

My equation is currently if you want a high volume model then if going brand new then lease. If you want to own and pay cash then buy at 3 or 4 years old.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #32 on: 14 July 2017, 18:45 »
I can see the benefits of both leasing and outright purchase. I've also done both so my comments are entirely impartial. However as to which is better really depends on two main points;-

1) How long you intend to keep hold of the car.

2) Driving a hard bargain in the first place. A poor deal is poor no matter whether it is by cash or with credit.

My current Octy is leased and I reckon i'm currently around £1k better off than if I had paid cash via DTD. However as time passes I expect that saving will narrow until the point that cash purchase becomes the cheaper option.

The best advantage of leasing is the fixed monthly costs and avoiding maintenance and upkeep, which become more difficult as a vehicle ages. On the plus side, if you have paid cash the depreciation will eventually become incidental and provided your vehicle remains reliable you should then have cheap motoring.

Yes if you own the car the depreciation does tail off after a good few years but then you are at that stage driving an old car which will undoubtedly be an old model and perhaps needing expensive repairs as the miles march on. You really can't compare that to someone driving a new model every two years and never having a car out of warranty or needing anything other than one service. Yes that may cost money but that's the choice. When comparing leasing with buying you need to assume someone replaces the car every 2 or 3 years with a brand new model either by cash or lease. On that model of driving it seems leasing is the clear winner by any financial measure I have looked at. One caveat is that this is likely to change as 2 year old cars struggle to find buyers if everyone wants to lease new ones. This will depress the used values further, very bad news if you own your car and bad news if you are leasing as lease costs may go up if the financiers are not getting the same residuals from used cars.

For now it seems lease all the way for me and this has been confirmed by several VW salesmen sme of whom said it wasn't even worth their while trying to work out a PCP deal as leasing on a special deal with be much cheaper.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the point I was making is that leasing is only going to save you money if you swap regularly anyway.

I understand the arguments about having the newest model/latest tech etc, but not everyone feels the need to do that. Hence point 1 in my previous post. Some on here pay cash and keep their cars way beyond its first MOT, and those people are unlikely to reduce their costs by leasing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-leasing. Far from it. As I said, my current car is leased. However it was never my intention to keep the car long term.
7.5 GTD

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 14 July 2017, 19:26 »
Well it will be the buyers who suffer
most if we do cause that. We simply hand our cars back and have a chuckle at the loss VWFS will absorb, those who own will see the effect in their own pocket.

In a recession we would all lose. Loans get repackaged and sold on so that VW can finance new loans. It won't necessarily be VW that loses, it will be whoever is holding the dodgy loans when things turn bad. It wasn't just the mortgage companies that went broke in the last crash, it was also the other companies they owed money to.

Lots of very clever people lost badly in the last recession, people far more intelligent than the likes of me. I  think it fairly unlikely you will be able to insulate yourself from it just by handing your car back. After all how will you get to work if car companies went broke and nobody is issuing loans to buy a car?
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #34 on: 15 July 2017, 18:02 »
Leasing companies still have a thing about white cars being worth less at resale... That's why you won't find a white one.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davyk31

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 16 July 2017, 07:50 »
Plenty of white Golf R estates going out on lease at the moment.
Mk 7.5 GTi Indium Grey with 19" Brescias

Offline maxie

• Here all the time
« Reply #36 on: 16 July 2017, 08:53 »
I can see the benefits of both leasing and outright purchase. I've also done both so my comments are entirely impartial. However as to which is better really depends on two main points;-

1) How long you intend to keep hold of the car.

2) Driving a hard bargain in the first place. A poor deal is poor no matter whether it is by cash or with credit.

My current Octy is leased and I reckon i'm currently around £1k better off than if I had paid cash via DTD. However as time passes I expect that saving will narrow until the point that cash purchase becomes the cheaper option.

The best advantage of leasing is the fixed monthly costs and avoiding maintenance and upkeep, which become more difficult as a vehicle ages. On the plus side, if you have paid cash the depreciation will eventually become incidental and provided your vehicle remains reliable you should then have cheap motoring.

Yes if you own the car the depreciation does tail off after a good few years but then you are at that stage driving an old car which will undoubtedly be an old model and perhaps needing expensive repairs as the miles march on. You really can't compare that to someone driving a new model every two years and never having a car out of warranty or needing anything other than one service. Yes that may cost money but that's the choice. When comparing leasing with buying you need to assume someone replaces the car every 2 or 3 years with a brand new model either by cash or lease. On that model of driving it seems leasing is the clear winner by any financial measure I have looked at. One caveat is that this is likely to change as 2 year old cars struggle to find buyers if everyone wants to lease new ones. This will depress the used values further, very bad news if you own your car and bad news if you are leasing as lease costs may go up if the financiers are not getting the same residuals from used cars.

For now it seems lease all the way for me and this has been confirmed by several VW salesmen sme of whom said it wasn't even worth their while trying to work out a PCP deal as leasing on a special deal with be much cheaper.

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the point I was making is that leasing is only going to save you money if you swap regularly anyway.

I understand the arguments about having the newest model/latest tech etc, but not everyone feels the need to do that. Hence point 1 in my previous post. Some on here pay cash and keep their cars way beyond its first MOT, and those people are unlikely to reduce their costs by leasing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-leasing. Far from it. As I said, my current car is leased. However it was never my intention to keep the car long term.

i used to lease every 3 years, which was fine. but when i got my mk5 gti i wanted to keep it longer and as it's been said the longer you keep it the better of you're in buying really (i've had my mk5 9 years). i'll be buying this time too, but i'll be (hopefully) keeping her for 5 to 10 years :)

Offline CHB100

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 16 July 2017, 09:43 »
I've never had a company car (apart from own business) or leased.

Inherently I'm from the era if you can't buy it with your own cash,you can't afford it.

Until the R the most I've paid is £19k for a car and I've owned around 50.

The R I intend to keep for ? 7 maybe 10 years. There are still some very nice 10 year old R32's out there.

So £31k cash that was earning the princely sum of £310 a year! Makes sense.

It's all relative interest rates / lease deals and the must have it now mentality.

And job security, for a younger me the mortgage took priority and I love cars.
Arrived 15/5/17 Mk 7.5 R Lapiz 5dr DSG, Prets, Pan Roof, DCC, Rear View Cam.
Our other car is a Mk7 GTI DSG 5dr Tungsten, Vienna, Rear View Cam, Park assist.

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
« Reply #38 on: 16 July 2017, 14:10 »
I've never had a company car (apart from own business) or leased.

Inherently I'm from the era if you can't buy it with your own cash,you can't afford it.

Until the R the most I've paid is £19k for a car and I've owned around 50.

The R I intend to keep for ? 7 maybe 10 years. There are still some very nice 10 year old R32's out there.

So £31k cash that was earning the princely sum of £310 a year! Makes sense.

It's all relative interest rates / lease deals and the must have it now mentality.

And job security, for a younger me the mortgage took priority and I love cars.
Nicely put and I couldn't agree more :smiley:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16