Author Topic: anyone use a VR6 daily?  (Read 4428 times)

Offline Jay

• Forum addict
  • balding fat cvnt
Re: anyone use a VR6 daily?
« Reply #30 on: 20 April 2012, 20:19 »
I've got a V5, but in a Passat B5.5 so heavier than a Golf3 and thirsty as a Fish :grin: It LOVES Premium unleaded, if you can live with 25-30mpg on a commute go for it! :cool:
Passat B5.5 2.3 V5 170, with all the extras.

Want some online storage? Click here to sign up for a Dropbox account.

But for the purest engine experience, displacement has no replacement. All other methods are simply attempts to artificially recreate the benefits of displacement.

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #31 on: 22 April 2012, 09:19 »
I currently have a 2L 16v and have just purchased a VR6. I won't be using it daily but long journeys once a month. I'll be happy with 25 mpg's lol. I get 44 out of the ABF if I drive nice but as these chaps stated, that's boring!!!

There isn't a hope of getting 500 miles plus out of an abf, can't believe your getting 44mpg...
I've gotten the maf to show 44 but over a tank the best I've ever managed over a tank is 360 at a major push...90% of the time I used to get 330 to a tank...I'd imagine the vr would realistically return 20-25 over the course of a year...ud have some good and some bad weeks

Offline ToddyGTi

• GTI forum regular
  • I Love GTi's
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2012, 11:51 »
I currently have a 2L 16v and have just purchased a VR6. I won't be using it daily but long journeys once a month. I'll be happy with 25 mpg's lol. I get 44 out of the ABF if I drive nice but as these chaps stated, that's boring!!!

There isn't a hope of getting 500 miles plus out of an abf, can't believe your getting 44mpg...
I've gotten the maf to show 44 but over a tank the best I've ever managed over a tank is 360 at a major push...90% of the time I used to get 330 to a tank...I'd imagine the vr would realistically return 20-25 over the course of a year...ud have some good and some bad weeks

Mine is a Cordoba so only has a 45L tank. Drive to Newcastle and back which equates to 860 miles and still had about 10L left in the tank. Works out to be approx 45mpg. They'll do it on a constant run if driven well.

Part of the Booty Club

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 22 April 2012, 15:01 »

Mine is a Cordoba so only has a 45L tank. Drive to Newcastle and back which equates to 860 miles and still had about 10L left in the tank. Works out to be approx 45mpg. They'll do it on a constant run if driven well.

860 miles from a tank? 112 odd MPG.  :grin:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #34 on: 22 April 2012, 18:54 »
still dont think so.....doesnt add up

Offline bob23

• GTI forum regular
  • Hi, for those of you that don't know, I'm a tw@!
« Reply #35 on: 22 April 2012, 21:38 »

860 miles from a tank? 112 odd MPG.  :grin:

I think he means 10L left from 2 tanks, although a 45L tank at 44mpg would be about 440 miles, so would use 2 full tanks to do 860 miles.

Current cars 1995 Golf gti colour concept 2.0 8v 156,000 miles. bmw 316 1.9 129,000. yeah, life's good! :rolleyes:

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #36 on: 22 April 2012, 23:59 »
ABF in a mk2  will do over 40 mpg quite easy

a few years ago i filled my mk2 in filton bristol  when heading out to the ring      toped up in belgum and again near the ring  ( only because the gadgue lied like a cheep rug  )    the to topups were less than a tank

thats 420 miles ish  on less than 55 ltrs

on the way back i left with a full tank stoped off to see a friend  somewhere along the a12 somwhere after clemsford, wasent far off the m42 when fuel was required    work that out but it over 400 miles   and  we were seriously stamping on for a large chunk of the journy as we thought we'd got the ferry times wrong and  were going to be an hour late it,  manage to make it then realised we had an hour wait  oops
« Last Edit: 23 April 2012, 00:03 by danny_p »
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline MK3GTI_16Valve

• Here all the time
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2012, 09:36 »
ABF in a mk2  will do over 40 mpg quite easy

a few years ago i filled my mk2 in filton bristol  when heading out to the ring      toped up in belgum and again near the ring  ( only because the gadgue lied like a cheep rug  )    the to topups were less than a tank

thats 420 miles ish  on less than 55 ltrs

on the way back i left with a full tank stoped off to see a friend  somewhere along the a12 somwhere after clemsford, wasent far off the m42 when fuel was required    work that out but it over 400 miles   and  we were seriously stamping on for a large chunk of the journy as we thought we'd got the ferry times wrong and  were going to be an hour late it,  manage to make it then realised we had an hour wait  oops

I stand corrected so....Had two abf's and they were very similar....driving a 1.4l focus at the mo while my Leon is in the garage and that averages 34mpg...

Offline TheFan46

• Not said much yet
« Reply #38 on: 07 May 2012, 18:24 »
Ive got the old girl on the road now :cool: gotta say it's not to bad on fuel to be honest when doing a run but doing the commute to where I work at the min absolutely eats the fuel as its only 2.5mile round trip but I start my new job a week today so no more short stints lol
But the heated seats won't be used and the climate control is allways set to econ lol
« Last Edit: 07 May 2012, 18:57 by TheFan46 »