Author Topic: Is DSG any good ?  (Read 3718 times)

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
Re: Is DSG any good ?
« Reply #10 on: 11 October 2011, 14:35 »
Majority of DSG boxes have 6 speeds; the 7 speed boxes are found in the newer, lower powered models  :nerd:

H'mmmm - Skoda doesn't say which DSG box the Superb 2.0 TDI has in it.  I suspect 6-speed, as it mentions the 1.8 petrol has a seven speed.  :nerd:
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 October 2011, 14:43 »
it is more like driving on a playstation, than a real car.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #12 on: 11 October 2011, 15:35 »
it is more like driving on a playstation, than a real car.

Is that your +1 equivalent?
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 October 2011, 15:47 »
Having driven both a dsg + manual R32 I have to say the DSG wasnt such a great combo with the V6. Far too quick to change up in auto mode and didnt allow you to hold the gears long enough in auto mode.

Yes, you could always switch to manual mode, but then what is the point??

In the GTI I had the DSG was much better suited to the turbo'd engine. Very quick to find the power when required, but also a little bit hesitant in stop start traffic.

In all honesty it boils down to what you want the car for. Sitting on motorway, lots of town/traffic driving then go for the dsg. If like me you get to have a nice blast every now and then (i.e. fun) then I would chose manual everyday  :cool:

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 October 2011, 15:53 »

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #15 on: 11 October 2011, 17:15 »
My car is on 136k with dsg 2.0 tdi 140.. Neverhad a problem from lpoking at all the history with the car..

It doesn't like traffic fact it's just wierd as it can sometimes be smooth and others jump forward..

Sport.. Kickdown.. And paddles are all fun but I've rarely used them tbh.. But I don't have a powerful car that might be the reason..

If they are looked after they are great but not really my thing maybe I'm too young for a diesel auto ?

If you have any questions fire away  :smiley:
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 11 October 2011, 17:59 »
My car is on 136k with dsg 2.0 tdi 140.. Neverhad a problem from lpoking at all the history with the car..

It doesn't like traffic fact it's just wierd as it can sometimes be smooth and others jump forward..

Sport.. Kickdown.. And paddles are all fun but I've rarely used them tbh.. But I don't have a powerful car that might be the reason..

If they are looked after they are great but not really my thing maybe I'm too young for a diesel auto ?

If you have any questions fire away  :smiley:

If it's jumping into gear sign of low oil pressure which most common is low oil. Well that applies to automatics so I assume it's the same for the DSG, get it checked out before it breaks.

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2011, 18:15 »
Its not jumping into gear its already in gear lol It just doesnt like traffic my mates a3 does the same..
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2011, 20:16 »
Oh right.  :smiley:

Actually I know what you mean, had two M5's in recently and they were the same, spun up the wheels on the gravel.

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 16 October 2011, 12:01 »
I have just bought my 4th DSG equipped car and I love them.....with one proviso, I have the DSG box remapped so I can have it locked into gear in manual mode. The remap does several other neat little modifications to how the box operates and not one of them have I found to make the box worse. I have just bought a new 7 speed Polo GTI and already have the engine mapped. Software has just come out to have the DSG mapped too and so I will be having this done shortly. Overall the DSG box is a technological tour de force, which many other car makers have jumped onto the bandwagon with, Nissan GTR, Ferrari 458, Porshe, BMW, to name just a few. Some don't get on with the DSG but I love them. :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG