Author Topic: Is DSG any good ?  (Read 3712 times)

Offline DubFan

• I live here
Is DSG any good ?
« on: 11 October 2011, 11:46 »
My other half is struggling to get anywhere with learning in a manual, so may just switch to learning in an auto.

This means I'll have to put pride on the shelf and get an auto.
I hear that the DSG gearboxes are pretty good, but are they really good for fun driving?

Will probably be changing the car in the new year anyway, so I will most likely be looking at a replacement for our T-reg Audi A4 Avant.
So opinions on similar sized VAG DSG and auto cars appreciated.
(I'm thinking 2005-2008 year Mk5 Golf Estates, Passat Estates, Audi A4, etc)

Offline Bellend

• I live here
Re: Is DSG any good ?
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2011, 12:13 »
Very good boxes, you can "drive" them, i.e hold it in second and hack em round corners and that but IMO, still not the same.

You're always thinking "it can do this" "it will do that" not "I'LL do that".

Better then an auto, yes. They reckon they're quicker then the manual.

Perhaps I'm still like the toddler I was, playing in my toy car pretending I had a gearstick. I just like changing gears myself.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2011, 12:20 »
Yeah, I think manual is still better. I'm sure I can decide better when to change gear, ie coming to a hill, or preparing to overtake.

Also, bearing in mind I'm looking for a secondhand (5-8yr old) car, how reliable are the DSG boxes, any more or less reliable than a normal auto or a manual?
I kinda assume that there's more to go wrong, because there's more to it than a straight set of cogs and a clutch.

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 11 October 2011, 12:43 »
Can't comment on that too much but with all the DMF failures (on all marques I'll add, not just Vaxhell) we're seeing, I'm not too sure.  :grin:

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #4 on: 11 October 2011, 13:28 »
I personally think if someone can't manage a manual box then they shouldn't be allowed on the road. Making decisions on the road and the other loonies aroudn takes more thinking than changing gear.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2011, 13:40 »
I personally think if someone can't manage a manual box then they shouldn't be allowed on the road. Making decisions on the road and the other loonies aroudn takes more thinking than changing gear.

What if a disability prevents them from using a manual gearbox?

DSG boxes appear to be reliable pieces of kit provided they have been serviced at the correct intervals; approx 40,000 miles I believe

Offline Ant1981

• I live here
  • Feed me, prod me
« Reply #6 on: 11 October 2011, 13:59 »

Completely different discussion.
80% of your posts are total tripe, as they are mostly replies to sh1te posts created by the morons that, unfortunately this forum attracts.

'02 VW Golf 1.8 GTi Turbo - 186,000 miles
'09 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
1990 VW Golf GTi 16V - Gone but not forgotten
Currently considering next car

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #7 on: 11 October 2011, 14:00 »

Completely different discussion.

:smiley:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #8 on: 11 October 2011, 14:13 »
I've driven both petrol and diesel DSG.

I've also been shotgun with Hurdy as he delivered an 8 minute lap in his DSG Golf5 GTI.

IMO they work better on diesel motors, as with (IIRC) seven gears the 'box can keep the motor in its sweet spot way more than a person with a 6-speed manual.

The flat-taps changes are simply epic and you will not replicate that rifle-bolt change quality with a manual 'box.

DSG also doesn't have the losses that conventional auto-boxes has.

BUT (and it's a big but if you're someone who wants to be 'involved' with the driving process) it is more like driving on a playstation, than a real car.

I didn't like it.

Personally I would only want a DSG with paddles on the wheel, otherwise you're just doing to put it in D and let it self-shuffle.

The Wife came to it squawking about not being able to drive an auto ( :rolleyes:) and now would quite like the next daily to be DSG.

I think there were some failures on the early mech-a-tronics on the first ones, but when I've spoken to my VAG-tech mate he's not gone on about how cra-p they are.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #9 on: 11 October 2011, 14:21 »
Majority of DSG boxes have 6 speeds; the 7 speed boxes are found in the newer, lower powered models  :nerd:

As DH has said, DSG is not for everyone.  Have as long a test drive as possible or even take advantage of when dealers off weekend test drives to fully get the hang of it

I've driven Doc's GTD' DSG motor and to me it was quite alien.  I only had a short test drive but it is an impressive piece of kit.  Launch control is fun too  :evil: