Author Topic: nitrogen or air  (Read 4413 times)

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
Re: nitrogen or air
« Reply #20 on: 08 October 2012, 19:22 »
It's just more stable.
I use low volume magnesium wheels so that there's less air to expand meaning my tyres stay at optimum tempiture for longer.
Alloy wheels will give me no grip until up to temp, then plenty of grip to set 2/3 fast laps then due to the extra air they get too hot and go off.
N2 just slows it down even more. So I can put 1/2 psi more than air to get tyres up to temp faster but it will stay on temp until the end of race.

I might only gain 0.5 in a race distance but that could be a win in my eyes

where do you by yours to take to the track? I'd like to try some, using a 12v car tyre inflater at the moment.

Christ what pressure you running? I use a bike pump. Lube them up when popping bead on and it should only take 20psi. It's a stand pump.
We fill ours up at a car garage before we go. Just put them to 20psi then set at track.

There's good kits in America for superbikes. Then just fill the tank up at your local gas place.
9-13PSI, depending on track conditions and weather. Reason I use the 12v one is cos it's quick.

Offline tweed

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 08 October 2012, 19:58 »
About same as me I do go lower on a hot day but then our tyres are stickier than the mojo's

That's what my mate said so we had a bet lol lets just say I one  :grin:

Untitled by tweedub, on Flickr

Offline 75chrisc

• Not said much yet
  • Mk3 Golf GTi, 2.0l 8v, 3dr in Mystic Blue LC5L
« Reply #22 on: 09 October 2012, 23:13 »
... now I thought it was... (as well as the reasons above!)

nitrogen molecules are bigger than air (oxygen) and so therefore.... did not leak out of the tyre/rim/valve/structure as easily.... :undecided:

I seam to be having tremendous difficulty with my Lifestyle

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2012, 01:30 »
... now I thought it was... (as well as the reasons above!)

nitrogen molecules are bigger than air (oxygen) and so therefore.... did not leak out of the tyre/rim/valve/structure as easily.... :undecided:

You're right and with stainless valves you can go 6 months without heckling pressures. In the winter/early spring I run 32psi Nitro and in the summer/autumn I run 35psi.....works a treat. But views are polarised on this thread.....
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2012, 21:46 »
today i'm mostly running argon filled tyers .

what are the thoughts on argon over nitrogen then ?
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2012, 23:28 »
I put hundreds and thousands in my tyres before sealing them as it ruffles the air and keeps it cooler and more stable

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2012, 23:55 »
well my experiments havn't got that far yet i've tryed the following gases and mixtures in the truck at various points

air
N2
C02
C02 / N2          aka beer gas
AR
AR / C02          aka  coogar 25
AR / C02 / 02    aka arcshield light
He / AR
He

anyone notice a common theme ?

as for differances in performance  as far as truck was concirend they were all the same bar the last two,    helium dosent like been in tyers and f**ks off  a bit quick   

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2012, 09:56 »
I reckon you'll be needing to try Krypton or Xenon next then to make a complete set :lipsrsealed:

You could give Chlorine a go - I await the results, and pictures of mangled metal.

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #28 on: 11 October 2012, 11:48 »
I reckon you'll be needing to try Krypton or Xenon next then to make a complete set :lipsrsealed:

You could give Chlorine a go - I await the results, and pictures of mangled metal.

Brilliant  :grin:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 11 October 2012, 21:34 »

krypton or xenon are probaly a littel expensive. and it's not like i have cylinders of them standing around in the workshop or truck that been common factors with the other gases that have been used.   a cyl at 200 bar is a  damb sight more effective at  getting beads to reseat that an airline at 150 psi