Author Topic: New Pressure washer  (Read 6556 times)

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
New Pressure washer
« on: 03 April 2020, 21:22 »
As the title says i'm looking for recommendations on a pressure washer, primarily to be used to wash the GTI. Having had look through the forum threads & online research i'm leaning towards a Karcher K4 full control. I'm a little put off by reviews regarding the quality of the lance & the hose, which seems to kink regularily and needs changing for a better option. Any better alternatives for similar money or is th K4 all I need. Any recommendations for snow foam attachment also welcomed

thanks
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: New Pressure washer
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2020, 07:57 »
I bought a Nilfisk, just a basic one and it has been very good. I heard that vital parts in the Karcher are plastic but metal in the Nilfisk. Having said that they seem to sell pretty well so can't be too bad. Karcher have an online outlet that sells at very keen prices.

Snow foam wise, I was recommended this lance and it has been very good - https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/products/autobrite-heavy-duty-foam-snow-foam-lance-and-magifoam-500ml/ad-foamlance-magi-500ml-blackdecker
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2020, 08:30 »
I bought a Nilfisk, just a basic one and it has been very good. I heard that vital parts in the Karcher are plastic but metal in the Nilfisk.

That is incorrect for the K4. It has an aluminium water cooled pump, whereas the the K2 has a plastic air cooled pump.

I’ve had a K4 for nearly 3 years and it hasn’t missed a beat. The supplied lance is fine but the hose is a bit kinky, likes to curl up and is slightly short so I’ve replaced it with a 15m one from QWashers so I can have the K4 in the garage whilst I can walk all the way around the car with the lance. I have also replaced the lance with a quick release short trigger but the supplied lance is just fine.

I have two snow foam lances, one is the same at the one Watts posted a link to and it is very good. The other is from the link below and is exactly the same at the new Autoglym one but without the branding, coming in at £23.99 delivered it’s a real bargain and has a wide neck which is much easier to fill up. Performance wise it’s on a par with the Autobrite lance because they are both solid brass.

https://detailedonline.co.uk/products/snow-foam-lance-v2

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2020, 13:11 »
I bought a Nilfisk, just a basic one and it has been very good. I heard that vital parts in the Karcher are plastic but metal in the Nilfisk.
Same here - I only wanted to spend £100-£150 on one, but I still wanted something decent, so I went for Nilfisk C120 (now superseded by newer models) purely because the key parts are metal versus the Karcher equivalent.

5 years on and it's still going strong. :)
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2020, 12:22 »
Thanks for the input folks, looking like i'll stick with the Karcher K4 as I can get a good deal on one delivered at the moment and then also pick up one of the recommended foam guns..probably just in time for the rain to start  :cool:
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP
Pure White, DSG, ACC, DCC, Pano roof, 19 Brescias, Rieger rear diffuser....at the moment😂

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2020, 16:00 »
Well I took the plunge & ordered the Karcher K4 along with the autobrite hd snow foam lance. At least that will give me something to do when I get my days off.  :evil:
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2020, 16:25 »
Nice one, what snowfoam are you using?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2020, 16:33 »

500ml of Autobrite Magifoam is coming with the lance so will see what that is like :cool:
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2020, 17:17 »

500ml of Autobrite Magifoam is coming with the lance so will see what that is like :cool:

I think I had that with mine. Went on very thick, seemed pretty good. I'm using G-techniq at the moment which is good too. Bought it in a 5lt tub which was better value but without a funnel it's a bit messy getting it into the snowfoam bottle!

This gets rated highly by those that know - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam I've tried it but that was when I was using just a garden hose instead of a power washer with unsatisfactory results. I may get some again next time. Their citrus pre wash looks a good bet too, used in conjunction with snowfoam for maximum muck shifting!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline N14ll

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 06 April 2020, 18:01 »

I think I had that with mine. Went on very thick, seemed pretty good. I'm using G-techniq at the moment which is good too. Bought it in a 5lt tub which was better value but without a funnel it's a bit messy getting it into the snowfoam bottle!

This gets rated highly by those that know - https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/valet-pro-advanced-neutral-snow-foam I've tried it but that was when I was using just a garden hose instead of a power washer with unsatisfactory results.

Ya have been looking at the gtechniq stuff. The plan is when all this covid 19 stuff hopefully passes to get the car professionally detailed inside & out and a gtechniq ceramic coating applied. Would love to get the PPF applied to front end but will have to wait & see😎
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP