Author Topic: Shed-esque Golf2 Syncro  (Read 146738 times)

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
Re: Golf2 Syncro ABF
« Reply #400 on: 21 April 2010, 22:56 »
Shouldn't do, mines got sub £500 suspension, poly bushes, alloys and track tyres and it's been doing trackdays for many years before I bought it.

DH's has had a lot of fab work but that's mostly getting engines to fit well. It's still much closer to a road car than a proper race car and it as proved in the last few days can handle whatever he throws at it.

Nick

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #401 on: 22 April 2010, 09:01 »
The tipping point is when you get the welder out and stitch a cage into it.  Once you've done that it's only ever going to be a track car as you need to put on a helmet whenever you get into it - it was only when I took the dash out a couple of weeks ago that I finally removed the radio!

Provided everything's in good mechanical order and it's not leaking you'll be fine.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #402 on: 22 April 2010, 09:13 »
you must have sat in some badly caged cars if you could hit your head on the cage, theres no problem with a well fitted cage

it becomes a track car when you need ear plugs to drive it and pebbles make the wheels leave the ground  :laugh:

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #403 on: 22 April 2010, 09:56 »
Awesome work DH :cool:

I was really impressed with everything you'd managed to do to get the car there and performing and also the driving on the day. You sure aren't afraid to chuck it into a corner :smiley:

The race and chase cam session we did was superb, but it was the hardest I've ever had to concentrate on track  :shocked:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #404 on: 22 April 2010, 12:27 »
I think an integral part of that video was passengering with one another before so we had a reasonable level of confidence about going out and staying what was bloody close to each other for the lap. 

The initial results speak for themselves, although I think I'm probably going to play with the footage a bit to make it more interesting and get it under 10 minutes for Youtube exposure.

you must have sat in some badly caged cars if you could hit your head on the cage, theres no problem with a well fitted cage

it becomes a track car when you need ear plugs to drive it and pebbles make the wheels leave the ground

Errr, I think the MSA have a different view to you and why else would most bodies demand roll-cage padding (not pipe lagging) around the driver?

If pebbles make the wheels leave the ground then I think you're rather more likely to end up in the armco and your suspension is rather too hard, but hey - what do I know, eh?

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #405 on: 22 April 2010, 13:17 »
there is no 'view' to be had. either your head can touch the cage when harnessed in or it can't. i'm saying if it can then your roll cage design is sh!t

pebble comment was exaggerated for comical effect, i should have said 'a car with considerably harder springs than a road car, thus making the car bounce on anything other than a smooth surface'. better?

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #406 on: 25 April 2010, 09:03 »
Emptied all the tat out of the Golf yesterday.  R888s aren't done yet, which is great.  I swapped them front-to-back after Brands as one of the fronts was looking very tired.

Another reason to play on the 'ring - less tyre wear  :grin:

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #407 on: 25 April 2010, 11:48 »
Picture Whorage:

Just before the Karoussell

In the Karoussell

Taking what can only be described as diabolical liberties with the curbs at Wipperman

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #408 on: 25 April 2010, 12:37 »
That last pic is epic!

nick

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #409 on: 25 April 2010, 13:56 »
LOL,

I noticed that when we were doing the lap, didn't upset the car too much either :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG