Author Topic: Corrado Detail  (Read 4110 times)

VeeDubGTI16v

Re: Corrado Detail
« Reply #10 on: 29 September 2008, 20:23 »
hey guy, what polish did you use for the swirl mark removal? i have had a quick go with megs speed glaze but its not really doing the trick. the swirls are worse than on nicks car though. what would you use? i have an electric buffer to use it with

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #11 on: 30 September 2008, 10:02 »
hey guy, what polish did you use for the swirl mark removal? i have had a quick go with megs speed glaze but its not really doing the trick. the swirls are worse than on nicks car though. what would you use? i have an electric buffer to use it with

I know I'm not guy but  :wink:

When I did mine I used Menzerna Intensive Polish PO85RD3.02 and a sonus SFX 1 cutting pad, followed by Menzerna Final Finish PO106FF on a SFX 2 polishing pad.  That shifted them  :smiley:

I have since learned that the megs pads are a better bet.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/polish/menzerna-250ml/menzerna-250ml-sampler-kit/prod_220.html

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #12 on: 30 September 2008, 13:22 »
ok cheers, are the pads you use just as important as the compound used then? im not after a concourse finish i just want the swirl marks gone, then ill just give it a standard wax.

you know you used 2 polishes, are they both for the swirl removal?

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #13 on: 30 September 2008, 13:54 »
ok cheers, are the pads you use just as important as the compound used then? im not after a concourse finish i just want the swirl marks gone, then ill just give it a standard wax.

Yes.  For 2 reasons.  VW's (even old ones) have hard paint & secondly the polishes I have linked have diminishing abrasives.  ie, the particles provide a cutting action but during use they break down into smaller particles that then provide for a better gloss finish.  Without the right pad the abrasives will not break down readily.

you know you used 2 polishes, are they both for the swirl removal?

PO85RD3.02 removes the swirls & PO106FF improves the gloss finish with a finer cutting action.  With care you can use just PO85RD3.02 to get a good finish on hard paints.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

If you dont want to go down the abrasive "removal" route (which takes many hours) you can apply Autoglym super resin polish by hand or machine and this will fill the swirls.  Several layers may be needed and if using machine use a polishing pad.  This polish is still generally considered the best all in one cleaner, filler, polish, sealant (although there are other products that do each step better).  Then follow with wax.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10656

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=76927

:smiley:
« Last Edit: 30 September 2008, 13:58 by Simon8v91 »

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #14 on: 30 September 2008, 14:10 »
cheers simon, i think ill go with the P085RD3.02 with the sonus pad and then my speed glaze should do the finer cutting bit afterwards

Offline Simon8v91

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 30 September 2008, 14:20 »
Sounds a good plan!

Do consider the megs pads.  Many rate them highly.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/meguiars-buffing-pads/cat_23.html

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 01 October 2008, 09:07 »

products used

wash & clay
  • chemical guys citrus pre-wash 50/50 with autobrite TFR in pressure sprayer
  • bilt hamber auto wash applied with eurow lambswool mitt using 2 bucket method... rinsed after every panel as had no choice but to wash in sunlight
  • dried using megs waffles
  • sonus green clay applied with diluted megs QD
  • bilt hamber auto wash applied with eurow lambswool mitt using 2 bucket method... rinsed after every panel as had no choice but to wash in sunlight
  • dried using Sonus Der Wunder Polishing Towel

wheels - didn't concentrate on these too much
  • muc-off wheel cleaner applied using a variety of brushes
  • clayed when necessary
  • leathered dry
  • poorboys wheel sealant - Nick applied this and was impressed

polish
  • menzerna intensive polish PO85RD applied with megs G220 DA & menzerna 135mmm white compounding pad
  • menzerna final finish polish PO106FA applied with megs G220 DA & menzerna 135mmm orange polishing pad
  • collinite #845 liquid insulator - applied by Nick while i was finishing the machine polish
  • collinite #915 Marque D'Elegance wax - applied by Nick while i was finishing the machine polish
  • QD'd using Poorboy’s Quick Detailer PLUS & a variety of microfibres

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #17 on: 01 October 2008, 15:35 »
Dude!

Can you give me a few pointers to keeping my car tip top on a budget. It's got a bit dirty already and I don't want to ruin all your hard work and introduce swirls!

I'm going to buy some QD a couple of MF cloths and a drying towel tonight. I already have a lambs wool mitt and 2 buckets.

My plan of attack would to wash it with the mitt and 2 buckets but with no shampoo so as not to strip the wax off, towel it off then QD it.

This sound OK?

I'm going to try to pop another layer of wax on at the weekend, weather permitting.

nick

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 01 October 2008, 16:50 »
essentially you have the right idea... but you need to use a shampoo... don't just rinse it with a wet lambswool...

If I were you I would nick some of your mrs' bilt hamber and wash it with that... you only need 5ml and it lasts ages so it is very cost effective!! it will create a nice kind of smooth feel when you wash it... almost slimey.

another coat of wax won't go amiss  :cool: and the QD will be good to keep it tippty top when you rock up at a meet  :wink:

the wheels you should just be able to shampoo and rinse with a mitt... the PB wheel sealant should mean that the brake dust won't be stuck onto the alloy now... but you will need to get some wheel sealant eventually.

Offline Horney

• 10k hero
  • Racing, Trackdays, Starwars.
« Reply #19 on: 01 October 2008, 19:27 »
Ah OK.

Read this after doing the car.

I washed it sans shampoo very lightly but the dirt came off really easy and then dried it with a Megs towel (I just bought!). You're right the wheels came up easy that PB stuff is awesome and on my shopping list.

I couldn't get an QD in Halfords so I may have done a bad thing but I bought some megs Tech Wax Spray. SPrayed on, wiped to haze, let dry, then buffed off. I have to say it's done the trick car looks blinging. I just hope it hasn't taken the other wax off!

Nick