Author Topic: HOW TO: TT wheel arch mod  (Read 12068 times)

Offline sveed1.8T

• I live here
HOW TO: TT wheel arch mod
« on: 26 June 2012, 16:49 »
Read a post not too long about this mod, n I thought I'd give it a go (with the addition of taking pics to do a write up for you guys) :wink:

Items required

1xPlastic vent (£3.99 from Homebase)
1xCan of black spray paint
4xSmall screws
1xStanley blade
1xTorque Allen key

And necessary tools to remove your wheel :smiley:

Now allegedly the benefit to this mod, is that as air passes through the SMIC, it heats up, but has no exit, so increases the heat behind the intercooler. By allowing the air to flow straight through the wheel arch and away from the intercooler, it reduces the build up of heat in the cavity behind it. It makes sense in my mind, which is why I chose to do it! :smiley:

This is what I was greeted with when I removed the wheel arch!! :shocked: This has got to be 11years build up of sh!te!! :sick:

This was then cleaned out thoroughly, to reduce the chances of rust!

Once the arch was removed, I lined up the vent and marked out where it was going to sit in the arch. Using the Stanley blade, cut out the marked area in the arch. Before fitting the vent, I sprayed it black, just so it was discreet. Once dry, screw the vent onto the arch.

Then refit the arch, stand back and admire! :cool:

This was a fun little job, and probley took an hour tops (including a tea break :grin:)

Offline AD1.8T

• I live here
Re: HOW TO: TT wheel arch mod
« Reply #1 on: 26 June 2012, 17:24 »
Youve just spent £4 for me this weekend !  :laugh:

Offline s-l-i-x

• I live here
  • Golf MK4 1.8T AGU
« Reply #2 on: 27 June 2012, 13:39 »
Looks like a cheap little mod  :smiley:

Surely it can all be done by leaving the arch liner left on though if you have access to a dremel?

Offline sveed1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 June 2012, 17:22 »
Looks like a cheap little mod  :smiley:

Surely it can all be done by leaving the arch liner left on though if you have access to a dremel?
You can, but I found it easier just removing it, n plus, I found all that crap that had built up behind the arch! :smiley:

Offline Stokie Mac

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2012, 00:20 »
Good Mod mate..
 :cool:

Offline ALBEEEEY

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2012, 15:40 »
just out of curiosity will you get any advantages out of this mod? other than it looks good obviously  :smiley:
-Gone but Not Forgotten 2000 MK4 GT TDi
- Looking for a MK2 8 valver

Offline Dalo Harkin

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2012, 11:42 »
stops the heat building behind the IC
ARZ K03s, Oettinger Side Skirts, R32 front, Carbon stage 2, Forge 007p (yellow spring), Forge Actuator (yellow spring), Pipercross panel filter with DSG parts, N249 and N112 deleted, SAI deleted, Carbon canister deleted, Rear wiper deleted, Long Life turbo back custom exhaust with 200 cell sports cat, VR6/G60 clutch kit, Creation Motorsport TIP, Catch can, 'Wellycooler', K04 charge pipe, S3 ported inlet manifold - looks pretty standard on the outside though :)

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 January 2013, 10:38 »
Heres a question, What is to stop Water splashing thru the vents and casuing problems behind the SMIC?
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline markallen

• Here all the time
  • AUM 1.8 20v Turbo 150bhp for now ;)
« Reply #8 on: 15 January 2013, 10:43 »
You could put some meshing on the grill? That would stop a fair bit of spray and still allow cold air to pass through?
Golf Mk4 GTi Turbo, R32 front bumper, Lowered on ProSport Coilovers, Bora illuminated vents, Armrest, Heko wind deflectors, Aluminium vinyl trim.

Soon to be added, FMIC, 3" exhaust, Remap..oh and new turbo :(

Offline sveed1.8T

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2013, 12:31 »
Heres a question, What is to stop Water splashing thru the vents and casuing problems behind the SMIC?
The vent has angled slats, so wouldn't get directly splashed. Not that it would matter anyway, as where do you think rain water goes, when you drive along and it is hitting your front bumper and passing through the vent? :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 16 January 2013, 11:54 by sveed1.8T »