Author Topic: Mk7 seats supportive v F30 Bmw 3 SERIES?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Yusee

• I live here
Re: Mk7 seats supportive v F30 Bmw 3 SERIES?
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2020, 13:50 »
There are so many variables, seat height, lumber support, reclining, steering wheel reach and rake.

If one of these are out for a particular individual then surely that could be a contributing factor rather than its a Golf / BMW / Audi etc problem?

^^this
The problem is occurring whenever op drives his car. I would bet most of these issues occur because a driver hasn’t adjusted his seating correctly, rather than it being a problem of the car. Seats/steering are infinitely adjustable in most of these cars ( lumbar support is the only thing that may be absent) so you should be able to find an appropriately supportive seating position
I would look at this as a solution, rather than a new car.
Incidentally i’ve had a couple of 3 series- had no problems with comfort
I found the golf seats to be absolutely brilliant. I’m pretty fussy about setting up my seat position- never felt the need to tinker with my adjustments from the day I bought it. Very well designed, in my opinion.
I would suggest to op that he gets a physio to watch him sit in his car- maybe even pay a physio to sit with you as you drive.
Mutley posted an excellent post advising on this- mutley please re-post if you can dig that one up.
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline RM

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2020, 13:55 »
From someone that has been lucky enough to have never suffered any back issues I get that the seats are more supportive in the GTI but wouldn't that be offset by the firmer ride? The GTI does a really good job of smoothing things out considering what it is but I can't help think if it was that bad I'd rather have something with more SE suppleness? :undecided: or does it not work like that?

Again it’s very individual, but one of the hardest riding cars I’ve lived with was also one that caused me the least amount of discomfort on longer journeys. I had a Mini Cooper company car once and it rode hard and bounced around, but I was sat so well and in such a natural (for me) position I never once felt uncomfortable.

An extended test drive is the only true answer.

Offline Cecil

• Just got here
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2020, 21:22 »
Hi. I currently have a bmw 3 series f30 with sports seats but no lumbar. Have lower back, shoulder and neck pain when I drive-not had before this car. Been going to osteopath for nearly a year and now physio and gym. Still bad when ever I drive but gets better when I don't drive for a few days.
So seriously thinking of changing to a golf gti. Had a basic golf on holiday for 10 days and my back was ok. I realise it is very subjective and I will try to get a longer test drive but has anyone come from a 1 or 3 series (both have numerous posts on forums about unsupportive seats that I wish I'd seen before I bought my car) and can comment on how they find gti seats.

Thank you

Hi NPR, I have had 3 BMWs all with sports seats and the last one was the F30. On each of them i initially suffered with back and neck pain and I eventually worked it out. I needed to recline the seat more. I have a tendency to want to sit more upright.

The problem with the BMW seats I had was the backrest reclined incrementally as opposed with a finite adjustment as with the GTI.

I find the GTi seats comfortable but once I got the BMW seat correctly adjusted I would say that was slightly more comfortable.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2020, 08:55 »
The problem I usually have with BMW (and its probably true with the others too) is that unless you spec/get the "sports" seats the flat "park bench" seats are just not supportive enough for the amount of driving I do.

I don't need buckets and three point harnesses but a seat which fits around me and doesn't let me bend myself out of shape is my unscientific solution to my problems.

The loaner Golf Match thing I had while my GTD was having some work done also made me ache.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2020, 09:49 »
The problem I usually have with BMW (and its probably true with the others too) is that unless you spec/get the "sports" seats the flat "park bench" seats are just not supportive enough for the amount of driving I do.

I don't need buckets and three point harnesses but a seat which fits around me and doesn't let me bend myself out of shape is my unscientific solution to my problems.

The loaner Golf Match thing I had while my GTD was having some work done also made me ache.

Yes, your phrase "bend myself out of shape" is a good one. Driving isn't good for your back and it's poor posture that puts strain on the muscles of the back. Looks pretty clear to me that's what's happening with OP- he's getting pretty widespread pain. Maybe he's tense when driving, and he was less tense on holiday. Maybe the golf just has better designed, ergonomic seats.
Whatever the case may be, I think adjusting the seats to allow good posture is actually more difficult than assumed- you may need to make very slight adjustments to seat height, recline, steering reach and rake etc before you achieve good posture. Some people never achieve it because they assume the problem is with the seats- or biological ( and of course, to a certain extent it may be)- and frankly, they don't understand what they're doing wrong so they cannot put it right. So if you have significant problems when driving, I would say get someone who understands biomechanics- could be a physio, maybe a sports therapist- to observe you. Use their advice- and if you still can't get comfortable- then buy a golf gti!
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2020, 13:03 »
The other problem you get is that a lot of the adjustments are notched and sometimes you find a notch one way is too much and the notch the other way is too little.

Its particularly a problem if any of your physical dimensions deviate from the design concept of "normal human being".
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Npr

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2020, 17:36 »
Thank you all for your comments and advice. Really helpful.
 I have tried to change the seating position numerous times over the last year and a half after watching many videos. I'll try again with tips from your posts.
Will also try to get a physio to advise with the car set up.
And will ensure I get an extended drive.
Have a good weekend

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #17 on: 25 January 2020, 10:40 »
The seats in my GTI are nowhere near as adjustable or comfortable as my old BMWs.

The seats in my Missus' Volvo XC40 are lightyears ahead of both.
'18 245PP DSG

Offline david25

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2020, 13:30 »
A slight segway, but I never understood why the lower end models on the MK7/ MK7.5 got the option of the ergoactive seats with the extendable seat squab, electric adjustment (including lumbar) and massage function ?

You would have thought that would have been an option at least for the top models ? All the Audi and Merc's I've sat in all have at least an extendable seat squab, and for me with long legs, it's a godsend.

I think they have been available in Europe.
Now = 2011 MK6 GTI - Reflex Silver
Past = 2006 MK5 GTI - Tornado Red and Solid Black