Author Topic: Mk 1 GTI Campaign - how many left?  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Sion Gloddfa

• Not said much yet
Mk 1 GTI Campaign - how many left?
« on: 04 April 2016, 21:40 »
Hi there,

Does anyone know how many Campaign models were actually built and how many are still on the road today?

Is the anywhere you can check if one is geniuine or is it through the normal checks ?

Thanks

Sion

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Mk 1 GTI Campaign - how many left?
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2016, 13:16 »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Huss.scala

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2017, 12:10 »
I've taken a look at the link, and thought it had a section where you could perhaps type in the VIN into a database. This would then hopefully confirm whether it's a genuine Campaign model.

Maybe I've missed the point, but have had a good scour around this and other sites prior to asking this question.

I'm looking to reconfirm from VW or an authenticated database whether a certain car is a Campaign

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2017, 13:24 »
I think you have. Everything you need to know is on that link.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2017, 22:05 »
IMO If you want a genuine UK supplied campaign and not a personal import that was common at the time you need to check the label in the service book which is duplicated on the rear panel in the boot. IMO a UK supplied Campaign will have EW chassis number, 4Y gearbox code, 707 & 750 option codes.
This will be backed up by what is shown on that site. The pirelli alloys part number ending in A. Small topped door buttons. Leather steering wheels. Green tinted glass. Sunroof. Front foglights in the grill replacing the spots.
There is a letter on the owner cllub site that says 1000 were requested for the uk. As specials were not a huge thing like today I expect thats all that were supplied official to uk dealers.
How many left today is probably unknown as so many pirelli personal imports (pirelli was the germanys runout version) also the french had a runout version lots of personal imports back then also they are alot of fakes out there.
It being an A reg is NOT a good indication its a campaign as there are quite a few non campaigns registed on an A plate.
If it was me wanting a campaign and nothing else I would walk away from a car that doesn't have the codes I discussed above on the label.

« Last Edit: 07 February 2017, 22:32 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.