Author Topic: madmanluke - mk2 VR6  (Read 67688 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
madmanluke - mk2 VR6
« on: 19 October 2009, 21:38 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
Re: madmanluke - mk2 VR6
« Reply #1 on: 19 October 2009, 21:47 »
I thought I would put a little build thread together from start to hopefully(!) finish.

Here is the culprit due to have its insides ripped apart for a VR upgrade. It is currently a 2.0 8v running a newman 282cam. Goes well bless it, but I’m bored of it not being very dramatic. It goes like fairly well, but does not have any sort of grunt behind it. I think the real reason for the convertion is just so i can have that roar!!!

I have a good idea of what needs to be done, but I am sure if I do get stuck on any thing, I will be all over mk2vr6.com for information like a rash. Some very knowledgeable people that are happy to help if any one needs to know!

I picked this beauty up on saturday. Thanks to Ash from edition who held onto this for me :) . Its a 97 obd2 mk3 with 68k on the clock and I am hoping to use as much of it as possible. So my mk2 will be running wide-track but will unfortunately be sporting those lovely standard BBS until I find some thing I like in 5 stud! 

The car actually came with a MINT set of recaro’s all round. And by mint, i really do mean spotless. These are currently for sale so check out the classifieds soon! All the ‘mod cons’, electric windows, mirrors, sunroof etc etc. all of it going to be sold on to recoup the cost of the car. 

If I didn't have the mk2 and have that mk2vr fever... id stick with this. Its a joy to drive. Smooth as anything and plenty of power on tap....if a little....boat like.

Next step is to get the mess in the garage cleared out so I can wheel the car in and out of it as and when I want to do the work. The garage is just that little bit too small to have the car in there full time, so this will have to do for now.

Hopeing to get the engine out of the MK2 this week end and also have the VR out for a paint up and refresh.  So update due soon!  :up:

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2009, 18:55 »
Here is a small update.

Woke up today with all intentions of getting the old 2.0 8v out. 

First port of call was to clean her. I didnt partially want to be working on a car with over 300 miles worth of crap all over it.

Here is how the Old bay used to look:

By the time it I had just finished giving it a once over, its started chucking it down :( Carried on none the less.

And here it is with the bay empty with me inside! Pretty painless removal. It did give me a bit of grief as I had left the manifold and downpipe on but other that. No complaints.

I had soon found oil EVERYWHERE over the subframe, looks like the gearbox really was on its last legs. So thats awaiting to be dumped :)

I then started on the removal of the dash so I could have good and propper access to everything going into the fuse box. PAIN. IN. THE ARSE. everything was undone and not a problem, but it just wouldn't go over the steering column. Needless to say I have scratched the crap out of my stalks, so I will be doing the mk3 stalk upgrade I think...  Glad I got the dash out any way, its off to be flocked in about a week or so's time. Plus I have the install a new heater matrix, so must make it a little easier. 

Untill next time (probably tomorrow!)

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2009, 00:05 »
Well today consisted of getting the VT out of the donor. All went fine bar one stubbern nut/bolt on the down pipe to exhaust.

And finally

Looking to have the engine sprayed up an the mk2 wiring loom split by next weekend so I can then swap the subframes over.

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 November 2009, 17:08 »
Well heres a small update.

I have spent the evening of the last week doing odd bits and bobs whilst I can. At the beggining of the week it consisted of the most important thing. Painting bits. I have managed to get the inlet, gearbox and tensioner so far done. Lots left to do but I will do all of that once it is in and running.

Here is how it was before I started.

And here it is now. Simple but looks better than it did before. its great what a bit of paint and lacquer can do :p

I also spend the time removing both looms. I was pretty glad I could just unplug everything from the mk3 fusebox and leave it as it did not need to be plugged back in any where else. With the mk2 I had to remove the brake servo in order to get the engine loom out! strange, but the servo is being replaced any way....
Took a little more care in taking the mk2 loom out and it looks like I only have to plug in 5 or so connectors from the mk3 loom to get me going?  We will soon see...

Yesterday I started on swapping the front subframes over. Went pretty smoothly bar one thing, still need to get back under the car to tighten up all the bolts properly and I also need to bolt up the old mk2 frame to the mk3 so I can have it wheeled off the drive.   The one thing is i lost the locking wheel nut to get the wheels off. As I was running out of light i thought smack an 18mm socket on it and whip it off....oh no.
These locking nuts had a loose sleeve round them to stop people doing just that. I noticed that a little too late as now the socket it wrapped around the nut!
Out came the trusty grinder and a chisel. Had to grind the crap out of the socket and split it open with a hammer and chisel.

Here is a few pictures....everyone likes pictures... haha

A working drive hehe

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 November 2009, 00:23 »
Mk3 subframe is all bolted up to the mk2 no problems now. Some one suggested it before but you need to have alll bolts very loose and in to start with, then tighten up. Went up no problems after that.
Next thing to tackle is the rear beam at the week end. Hoping to have the VR loom plugged into the fuse box at least at some point this week.

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 03 November 2009, 21:29 »
Well the rear beam is off the donor now. Sods law, I went out and started in blue sky. 10 mins later, it was driving rain!  As soon as I got the rear beam off, I gave in as I was soaked through to the bone. But hey, its another major bit done.

My ECU is now packed up and awaiting to be taken to C2 for an immo defeat also.
I am still waiting on my 16v master cylinder and servo and clutch parts. Still plenty to do though.

Here it is sitting on my old sebrings untill I get my mk2 one off.

And mine ready for rear beam removal hopefully at the weekend/ possible an evening during the week.

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 07 November 2009, 20:41 »
Here is an update from today.
Full wide track now complete, and engine is in! Its all coming back out tomorrow.

Things I need. SOLID MK2 CROSSMEMBER FRONT MOUNT- MAJORLY.

Tomorrow it is coming back out so I can do pedal-box, clutch cylinder, rear brake lines, front brake lines, handbrake cables, brake servo and master cylinder.

Heres a few more pictures.

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 November 2009, 18:40 »
Another update.

Things that are done:
Engine Loom in and plugged into fusebox
extended wiper loom to reach the motor
put ECU ontop of the fan vent in the passenger foot well
Drivers side CVD boot replaced
Cut down and re-welded exhuast ready to fit again next week
Now have steering again!
Full pedal box complete
Clutch master cylinder in
Brake servo in  (still not sure the mk3 vr6 master cylinder will work with this?!?)

Things to buy/do:
New brake copper and unions
get hold of complete rear brake compensator for mk3 beam.
Clip to keep the clutch MC on the clutch pedal
new oring for the dip stick
Throttle cable (not sure what I need - Guys?)
lots and lots of black tape for impending loom split once engine has been started and tested
replace brake flexes for the correct part
go over any air leaks in exhaust with welder again

on order/waiting to arrive:
Raceland 6 branch all heat wrapped up
Flocked dash - due back mid this week

No pictures unfortunatly as it all still looks the same! getting closer to being able to turn that key!  :-D
« Last Edit: 15 November 2009, 18:42 by madmanluke »

Offline madmanluke

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2009, 18:04 »
Well it runs!

I have to sort out a couple of issues. I currently dont have ANY reading to my rev counter at all, not a thing.
Fuel pump seems to be priming all the time... not sure where the fault is with that. Have tried new relays so it may be a wiring issue some where else.

Engine is coming back out again tomorrow to run new front brake lines, rear brake lines, master cylinder.
Then just rebuild the inside again and then itl be finished! il just have to save up again for insurance deposit, mot, tax etc etc, so should be on the road by mid/end of december I think...

Sorry for the poor image quality. - looks like my power steering pump is on its way out as it was doing this before I took the engine out. It just sounds louder now as there is no fluid in it.