Author Topic: Maybe GTI  (Read 2697 times)

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
Maybe GTI
« on: 15 October 2020, 07:41 »
Its been 8 years since a GTI was on my driveway, going into VW today to see what sort of deal they can offer. 

Kindov going full circle here, had a mk4 then a mk5 GTI before breaking ranks and getting an S3 followed by two S4's - PCP for my B9 coming to an end early next year so time to change.  Don't need such a big car anymore and miss the point and squirt nature of the GTI.  I've got a mk7 GTD on the drive so keeping my hand in with golf husbandry even though its not the real deal.

Also got feelers out for a 128ti - pretty good discounts available without trying but a few things I would like that are standard on the GTI are options on the BMW (as part of fairly expensive packs) so may not be quite as cost competitive against the GTI as it first seems. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Maybe GTI
« Reply #1 on: 15 October 2020, 07:57 »
The buttonless interior and subjective looks would be potential deal breakers for me. If I could live with those, then there’s the prospect of potentially very long wait times that seem to be the norm with a new performance model VW; 6-8 months or even longer seemed to be the norm when the mk7 Golf GTI was launched. The long wait times might be a consideration for anyone with a PCP contract that’s due to expire shortly who might be left without a car. However, it might not be relevant in your situation if you have a mk7 GTD at your disposal.

Given the choice between the mk8 Golf GTI and the BMW 128ti, if the numbers stacked up on the BMW and the lead times were better than VW’s (they usually are), then I think it’s be the 1 series for me.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #2 on: 15 October 2020, 09:29 »
Apart from lead times the mk7 was a sweet spot. Better tech than the competition, better looks, better price.

Vw i think have lost all of that and at the same time bmw have come out fighting.

Very ironic if the people's car is usurped by a luxury brand name.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Thornster

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 15 October 2020, 09:50 »
I've also been looking to return to a GTI, but not sure i'd be able to buy any car without the necessary heating control buttons (which seems to be a lot of cars at the moment - not sure why the manufacturer's think we want pure touch screens in a car?).

128Ti Looks great value, but it depends what options / standard kit you may want (or be used to). I'm not bothered by most the driver assist systems, just want Parking sensors and some heated seats and i'm happy!

Oct 2013: GTI, DSG, 3 Door, Carbon Grey, DynAudio, Winter Pack, Discovery Navigation and Keyless Start
Jan 2018: Arteon R-Line, Atlantic Blue
Jan 2021: tbc!

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 15 October 2020, 10:18 »
BMW have upped their game with the Oner. Have addressed some of the downfalls of the old one such as more room and hey, you can even have a spare wheel :). Debate re front/rear wheel drive is probably for elsewhere. You do get slightly less standard kit though things like lumber are optional on bigger beemers too. From having sat in one, build quality appears to be class leading.

VAG seemed to have to gone the other way with the Golf and, to a degree, the A3 as well. BMW are probably thinking they didn't need to go as far as they did with the One to see off VAG.....
« Last Edit: 15 October 2020, 10:22 by ar899 »

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 15 October 2020, 11:05 »
Having been hanging about golf forums for more years than I care to admit its always the same - owners of the outgoing generation bash the incoming generation until they become established.  I don't mind the looks of the new car at all - the tech is a gamble.  If the voice features work as well as siri or alexa it might be a non issue. 

The BMW is a very strong contender - but needs about 3k's worth of options to be the 'same' as the golf.  However they offer 3k deposit contribution and 2.9% APR to compensate. 

They reckon 3-4 months lead time for a GTI at the moment.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline ar899

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2020, 11:17 »
I'm not 'bashing' the MK8 as it's a new model. I'm fine with the looks and how it drives (based on reviews of course!), it's the cockpit that doesn't come anywhere near the 7.5 IMHO. And that's where I have to sit.....

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2020, 11:39 »

If ‘they’ are your local VW dealer, then the cynic in me would say they may give an optimistic view of lead time to get the customer to sign on the dotted line.

Customer demand will be a big factor in the lead times. If demand is high and VW struggle to build the cars fast enough, then 3-4 months could easily become 6-8 months. If people are put off by aspects of the car such as the buttonless interior, then maybe demand will be low, in which case 3-4 months is realistic.

I can remember when the GTI version of the current Polo was launched - some of the early adopters waited more than 12 months for their cars.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2020, 13:38 »
Having been hanging about golf forums for more years than I care to admit its always the same - owners of the outgoing generation bash the incoming generation until they become established.  I don't mind the looks of the new car at all - the tech is a gamble.  If the voice features work as well as siri or alexa it might be a non issue. 

The BMW is a very strong contender - but needs about 3k's worth of options to be the 'same' as the golf.  However they offer 3k deposit contribution and 2.9% APR to compensate. 

Agree, folk talk about adjusting temperature - it’s not like you do it every 10 minutes, set it to a temperature and leave it unless significant +/- changes in the outside temp, which you would know before you set out.
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 15 October 2020, 13:49 »
Yeah, the whole point of climate control is 'set and forget'. No need to be constantly adjusting it.

The Mk7.5 already has plenty touchscreen controls, just not for the heating controls or driving modes. To me, it's not the touch screens that are the issue, it's the long winded design of the user interface. Hopefully they can improve on that with a software update at a later date. I do slightly lament the loss of the physical buttons on the steering wheel though, and am yet to see how this isn't tech for the sake of tech.

Volkswizard in his YouTube review of the new SEAT Leon, mentions a few things about the new generation of VAG interiors that may allay some (but perhaps not all) concerns people have about them.

Looks are always subjective. Some will prefer the 1 Series, and that's fine. But personally I still prefer the Golf.
« Last Edit: 15 October 2020, 14:08 by Guzzle »
7.5 GTD