Author Topic: 128ti undercuts GTI  (Read 30895 times)

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
Re: 128ti undercuts GTI
« Reply #60 on: 22 October 2020, 14:25 »
Thats my 'local' dealer and thats the contribution and rate I've been given  :smiley:

Had a sit in a 1 series today - its a very very nice place to be.  Pictures don't do it justice, the quality is easily up there if not better than my S4 and knocks VW into a cocked hat.  Only trouble is its made me want the proper digital dash which is another 1k.  Will have to wait and see what VW come back with regarding financing before making a decision, but seeing a '1' in the flesh hasn't made the decision easier.

I think the standard dials are actually nice and would be tempted not to have the £1k full digital one as it isn't really that great - backward rev counter, map in between is ok but not as detailed as a Mk7.5 and you can't really change much about it. It does display quite a lot of info but it's nothing like the Audi one. Think the proper M cars maybe can change to a central rev counter. Doesn't bother me too much as most of the time I'm in hybrid mode  :grin:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #61 on: 24 October 2020, 10:03 »
If it was genuine analogue dials I would agree but the standard set of dials on the 1 looks quite naff.  I think this is different to to set up on the 3 series and others.  I do agree that even the full digital BMW set up is not great - however you also get a bigger, sharper infotainment screen as well. 

Still haven't made my mind up re GTI vs 128 - the 128 appears to be 'better' and cheaper than the GTI on paper - but the GTI is iconic, and I kindov prefer the overall image of being a GTI owner... decisions decisions. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #62 on: 24 October 2020, 10:12 »
Yes there is quite a difference between the full 1k option and standard 1 series dials.... quite a difference.... but it is 1k.... probably would go for it though.

I do agree after all of the discussion about the Mk7.5 AID being a bit basic that actually something that looks like Candy Crush is actually less functional.

Apart from anything else, I find low contrast colours hard to read at night - the clocks and stereo on my daughter's Mini are orange and at night I really cannot read them at all. Makes speeding tickets highly probable, I try not to drive it in the dark!

Less is definitely more.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #63 on: 24 October 2020, 10:39 »
BMW weight the GFV for certain options, so adding more on for key spec. I know it's a bit topsy-turvy, but that £1k nav would probably in reality cost you £600.

'18 245PP DSG

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #64 on: 24 October 2020, 11:23 »
They all do that. Some options you have some residual value on, most you pay for the whole price. Can't remember which of the mk7 ones had some value, I did work it out back in 2014.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Prospective

• Not said much yet
« Reply #65 on: 24 October 2020, 16:48 »
Followed a  BMW 118i in mineral grey the other day and it looked really good, they look different in real life! like other posters it makes you think whether to go BMW 128ti or M135i (from new stock.)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #66 on: 24 October 2020, 17:18 »
I'm still waiting to get a drive of the 128. If it's anything like as good as the 135 then you'll probably struggle to buy one because bmw won't be able to make them fast enough...

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #67 on: 24 October 2020, 17:29 »
Trigger pulled - 128 incoming.  Much better deal financially than VW (to be fair I didn't haggle hard with them), much better quality interior, more power, will be here this side of xmas. 
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #68 on: 01 November 2020, 10:41 »
I went into my local BMW dealership yesterday (the one where various forum members seem to think I have my own coffee mug  :whistle:)

They told me that they won't have a 128TI for me to look at until about 2 weeks time. That even the UK landing date isn't available yet, let alone them actually knowing when they will have it.... but its soon.

They promised me a phone call just as soon as they could book test drives though.

Of course, I have the same offer open from my VW dealership just as soon as they get a GTI too.

And then Boris has put a spanner in the works with all of that  :cry:

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #69 on: 01 November 2020, 11:17 »
I went into my local BMW dealership yesterday (the one where various forum members seem to think I have my own coffee mug  :whistle:)

They told me that they won't have a 128TI for me to look at until about 2 weeks time. That even the UK landing date isn't available yet, let alone them actually knowing when they will have it.... but its soon.

They promised me a phone call just as soon as they could book test drives though.

Of course, I have the same offer open from my VW dealership just as soon as they get a GTI too.

And then Boris has put a spanner in the works with all of that  :cry:

My local Vw told me they’d be open even during a lockdown. Might be worth checking.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.