Author Topic: Golf R Spied ....  (Read 8219 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Golf R Spied ....
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2020, 20:37 »
This is what I think the sides of the front grill will look like

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006130082476?make=VOLKSWAGEN&colour=Blue&model=T-ROC&sort=relevance&aggregatedTrim=R&postcode=sn57ay&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&year-to=2020&radius=1500&page=1

I think you’re right Andy.

The picture below was doing the rounds over on golfmk7.com early this year. It looks like a screenshot from VW TV. Although the images are very small, you can see the design of the R’s front bumper - far right of the picture.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Mag_Pie

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 01 July 2020, 10:08 »
I like the pics from Autocar but maybe the colour is swaying me as I've always loved the blue on the R's.  Front looks nice to me, rear spoiler ok but undecided how it suits the whole look of the rear end, I'm sure it'll fade away and I'll get used to it.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2020, 14:02 »
A lot of styling pointers from the new Tiguan R as to how the Golf R will look including the seats (which are interestingly in blue and use the TCR pattern which I personally really like).
There’s an awful lot of detailing on the disguised Golf that can be seen clearly on the Tiguan such as bumper styling, the little horizontal glossy black slat effects moulded in to the edges of the bumper trims, the rear valance/diffuser section shapes etc etc
Oh, and it seems 235kw/320PS is the final confirmed power output, so less than a 10% lift which is a shame.
Audi reports still seem to be quoting around 300/306PS for the S3 which is curious.

I quite like the central R logo on the rear. It’s better than a left mounted R badge and gaudy chrome “Golf” centrally positioned.

https://youtu.be/-E8n81wB2n8
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Dr Mike Oxgreen

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2020, 14:22 »
A similar article from Autocar

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-2020-volkswagen-golf-r-best-look-yet-329bhp-hot-hatch

I wasn't that impressed with the looks of the R, then I saw their article and pics of the new T Roc cabriolet! :)

I fear for the future of "focussed" drivers' cars.  We're in danger of being swamped by bloated, lumpen SUV's, whereas we should be looking to advance towards more efficient, lighter, less environmentally damaging vehicles which will result in the added benefit of being better and more responsive to drive.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 01 July 2020, 16:34 »
I quite agree Dr Mike, but it’s the way society is going in general. Despite all the positive noises coming out of people during “lockdown” all this new found humility was forgotten the instant the entitled masses decided it was safe to burst out of their front doors again.

To be honest the face lifted Mini F56 JCW “leaked” at around the same time as the R photos above appeals as a far more engaging driving machine. All these spy shots come from the ‘Ring so chassis development is honed there no matter what marque we choose. Hopefully not at the expense of B road comfort.
I don’t need a car that corners flat at 150 mph, I need one that can take the local roads to me feeling like I’m doing a controlled 150mph when I’m actually staying at sane speeds.
Having hit a badger at 60mph very recently  :sad: I think doing much higher speeds is not a great idea as modern car bumpers aren’t very strong and cost a lot to replace! I’d rather be having fun legally than swanning about in something that is acceptable to the entitled middle classes idea of social status.

Having said all that, I royally buggered up my back a few months ago so thought it a good idea to check out a T-Roc R. Do you know what? I loathe SUV’s almost as much as those stupid 1980’s window deflectors that seem to be all the vogue, but it’s actually a really good car.
Yeah, the plastics are a bit low rent but the fit and finish are good and at the end of the day there are still bits of painted metal viewable around the Golf’s doors so it ain’t ‘that’ high a quality in a Golf really (a 1 series has proper trims to hide the painted metal in the front for example).
Weight wise it’s not massively heavier than a Golf and I like the way they’ve put DRL’s in the bumper as a nod to the mk6 R (albeit vertically not horizontally).

There’s still a sizeable market for cars that appeal to those that actually enjoy driving as opposed to playing with modes and apps whilst bombing along at 90mph in cocooned silence on the local dual carriageway before relying on park assist to get them into a space that’s far too small for their vehicle.

Much as I dislike the rest of the mk8 range (and there’s no way a mk8 GTI mesh is going to survive a badger attack!) I actually do like the 8R styling. Plus, aside from the GTE, it’s the only model in the range revealed so far that seems to have any tangible improvement over its predecessor as far as likely performance stats go.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 07 July 2020, 16:02 »
Rumour has it this will be unveiled on Friday  :whistle:
7.5 GTD

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2020, 17:45 »

Seems to be some confusion whether this is accurate. Maybe the info came from vw uk and their legendary customer service.  :grin:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline spikeyboy22

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 08 July 2020, 09:03 »

I think you are spot on Guzzle, we all thought this would be released, which was going to be this week..

So I think you are spot on ...

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2020, 16:19 »
From memory they said the release was going to be at Goodwood this July so that kind of ties in
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2020, 18:55 »

I think you are spot on Guzzle, we all thought this would be released, which was going to be this week..

So I think you are spot on ...

Its nearly the end of the week and Volkswagen haven't unveiled any more R versions of their cars this week. Are they worn out?

Hope it is tomorrow, will be something to cheer me up :smiley:.....before I remember the interior and touch screen madness and I am fed up again.  :sad:
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black