Author Topic: Golf 7-5 V. Golf 8 cost cutting  (Read 10660 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Golf 7-5 V. Golf 8 cost cutting
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2020, 11:14 »
Not great, but then again my Octavia didn't have most of those things either, and after a while I stopped noticing. I've never used the cubby in the dash.

Maybe i'll look at another Octavia next time, as early impressions suggest that's got improved interior quality. 🤷‍♂️

Interestingly, the new Octavia has two gas bonnet struts.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2020, 12:15 »
Not great, but then again my Octavia didn't have most of those things either, and after a while I stopped noticing. I've never used the cubby in the dash.

Maybe i'll look at another Octavia next time, as early impressions suggest that's got improved interior quality. 🤷‍♂️

You’d expect the Octavia not to have some of the little ‘luxury’ touches. Same for the Leon which normally gets loaded with tech but lacks the posher plastics.
We’ve kind of got used to the Golf offering something a little bit more plush since the mk4 days (so well over 20 years) to reflect a relatively high list price for the segment. The retail prices of Golfs sure aren’t dropping.

Not having flock lined glove boxes isn’t a deal breaker for me, bonnet struts can be added on the aftermarket (as this’ll sure as hell be a popular retrofit), under dash cubbies are useful for pedalboxes  :lipsrsealed: but not essential kit.
It’s just the feeling of general retrograde about the whole car, albeit not massively.
Why buy a base model mk8 over a decent spec Polo?

The R looks to be the only model so far with a potential uplift of any significance.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2020, 15:35 »
Is the mk8 the only one of the new cars to have the double catches on the bonnet? I'm sure someone said that was the reason for losing the bonnet strut.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2020, 15:44 »
Is the mk8 the only one of the new cars to have the double catches on the bonnet? I'm sure someone said that was the reason for losing the bonnet strut.

Yes, it has the double catches on the bonnet, but then so does the new Skoda Octavia, and that has two gas bonnet struts.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2020, 08:23 »

Yes, it has the double catches on the bonnet, but then so does the new Skoda Octavia, and that has two gas bonnet struts.
👍👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #15 on: 31 May 2020, 16:23 »
I'm off to check the skoda press releases to see if these amazing features are mentioned first or if skoda themselves also don't give a f....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2020, 13:47 »
I’m sure Skoda and their owners are still enjoying their relative smugness of having the same basic engineering as Audis at significantly less cost (retail). In fact they will be getting even better value, as with SEAT, considering their extra added wheelbase.
That’s one thing I am thankful of with the mk8, that it’s not even bigger again.

I saw the black mk8 again yesterday, about 15 miles or so from where I saw it last week. At least I’m assuming it’s the same one. It definitely looks ok in the flesh in black unlike the metallic yellow one in my local dealer showroom.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 01 June 2020, 15:23 »
In the 80s we had an Audi 100 with double catches and bonnet strut due to the 5 cyl engine coming into the slam panel.
Just cost cutting.
That video was quite interesting, I wonder what unseen things have also had cost cutting measures.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Splashalot

• Here all the time
« Reply #18 on: 03 June 2020, 03:45 »
.....I wonder what unseen things have also had cost cutting measures.

That's a big concern for me.  It won't just be visible trim bits and pieces.  It's the structural, mechanical and electrical components that most concern me.
1972 Turquoise Superbug S; 1978 Miami Blue Golf GLS; 2007 Mk5 Tornado Red Golf GTI; 2017 Golf 7.5 Trendline Tungsten Silver 1.4ltr 110TSi with DAP; 2018 Tornado Red GTI with DAP.  All MT.  Current: 2021 Mini Cooper SE, British racing green.

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2020, 18:59 »
My dads 17 plate VRS Skoda Octavia has no bonnet gas strut and no electronic hand brake although he is pleased to see the new model has all those features. I think my next Golf is an Audi, it has gas struts, dash buttons and looks better. Sorry VW.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.