Author Topic: Golf me 8 TCR  (Read 19339 times)

Offline king monkey

• I live here
Re: Golf me 8 TCR
« Reply #20 on: 18 September 2020, 20:48 »
If, and it’s a huge if at the moment, if I get a Mk8 I’ll also aim for the Cup or whatever it’ll be called. But think I might finally move on from VAG after only ever owning them.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline mike roberts

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 18 September 2020, 21:06 »
Don't be scared to - I've had a fair few GTIs over the years, but they're not worth pinning your loyalty to for the rest of your life. That'd be like forever eating pizza 3 times a day with slightly varying toppings.

I've had one of most European brands. Fair few BMWs, fast French hatches, Audis, swear by Volvos for the family wagon (just ordering my 2nd XC40 now).

At 43 there's probably some things I'd not touch. I appreciate a Type R is an amazing bit of kit, but I'd just feel a tool getting out of it.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2020, 21:09 by mike roberts »
'18 245PP DSG

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 18 September 2020, 21:24 »
I’m definitely not scared of changing from VAG but I do eat pizza 3 times a day.  :grin:

Totally agree about the Type R and I don’t need any help in looking like a tool.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 18 September 2020, 22:26 »
I always try and be open-minded going into the car buying process.....then decide VW knew what they were doing and buy a VW.  Think it’s looking like things might be far closer and the money more of a decider.

I had thought that GTI Cup level of spec would suit me as pretty much same power as my Golf R but without 4WD. Now I’m not so sure after hearing Exonian’s experiences with his TCR and watching Volkswizard TCR review in terms of suspension setup. Somehow thought it would be gradual increase over GTI suspension and under R. Yes I know, a car called TCR and based on a touring car is not going to have  gentle pliant suspension. :laugh:
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #24 on: 19 September 2020, 08:15 »
I always try and be open-minded going into the car buying process.....then decide VW knew what they were doing and buy a VW.  Think it’s looking like things might be far closer and the money more of a decider.

I had thought that GTI Cup level of spec would suit me as pretty much same power as my Golf R but without 4WD. Now I’m not so sure after hearing Exonian’s experiences with his TCR and watching Volkswizard TCR review in terms of suspension setup. Somehow thought it would be gradual increase over GTI suspension and under R. Yes I know, a car called TCR and based on a touring car is not going to have  gentle pliant suspension. :laugh:
if you get a TCR on the standard belvedere alloys which are lightweight the suspension is perfectly fine. It's only when specced with 19s that you'll really feel anything. Even better spec it with DCC 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 19 September 2020, 10:01 »

if you get a TCR on the standard belvedere alloys which are lightweight the suspension is perfectly fine. It's only when specced with 19s that you'll really feel anything. Even better spec it with DCC 👍

Sounds good, much prefer idea of 18” wheels with DCC.
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #26 on: 19 September 2020, 10:27 »

I wouldn't exclude it with 19s without trying first. For one thing DCC was standard with 19s on the 7.5 TCR so there's a saving (obviously we don't know what the MK8 will have yet) but in comfort most of the time the suspension is very good, yes you get the odd crash going over a harsh ridge but from what I recall Exonian's issue was unfortunately with his back following an injury where the crashes were causing him pain. Driving around I don't come across many sharp ridges so the odd one now and then isn't an issue, my OH has never complained about the comfort levels of the car and although she doesn't whinge generally, if it was a problem she'd have mentioned it.

I'm pleased I jumped into the TCR when I did, none of the new crop of cars is appealing to me looks wise, I'll reserve final judgement on the MK8 GTI when I see one but right now I think the 7.5 was the peak and now car design is declining. When I do finally fancy a change I've no idea what to look at next, I'm not a diehard VAG loyalist as such but I may consider going down the route of something older and less complex. A car with wheels, seats and mechanicals, not a computer.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 19 September 2020, 15:30 »
Think you might well be spot on there Watts. Very good timing as I agree that the new crop of hot hatches all seem a bit meh.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2020, 09:40 »

I wouldn't exclude it with 19s without trying first. For one thing DCC was standard with 19s on the 7.5 TCR so there's a saving (obviously we don't know what the MK8 will have yet) but in comfort most of the time the suspension is very good, yes you get the odd crash going over a harsh ridge but from what I recall Exonian's issue was unfortunately with his back following an injury where the crashes were causing him pain. Driving around I don't come across many sharp ridges so the odd one now and then isn't an issue, my OH has never complained about the comfort levels of the car and although she doesn't whinge generally, if it was a problem she'd have mentioned it.

I'm pleased I jumped into the TCR when I did, none of the new crop of cars is appealing to me looks wise, I'll reserve final judgement on the MK8 GTI when I see one but right now I think the 7.5 was the peak and now car design is declining. When I do finally fancy a change I've no idea what to look at next, I'm not a diehard VAG loyalist as such but I may consider going down the route of something older and less complex. A car with wheels, seats and mechanicals, not a computer.

Thanks for experiences. Would probably try and stick with 18, but if the design was hideous then think a switch to 19 would be required.

We will have to see what they come up with, do you think there is life left in the Pretorias? Ie they might feature on Mk8. Their
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #29 on: 22 September 2020, 19:11 »
@AndyGTI, don’t take too much notice of my more recent experiences about the TCR suspension as it’s not a typical owners view but is specific to me and not unique to the TCR going from memory of my GTI PP which would also sometimes be caught out by sudden lumps or dips sending a jolt through the chassis.
Where it initially didn’t bother me aside from a wince occasionally and a shrug denoting acceptance of the compromises of suspension set-ups where ride and handling are generally excellent, but there is bound to be a chink in the armour at some stage no matter how slight. Bearing in mind the almost infinite variety of surfaces and speeds we drive, without spending massive amounts on fully active ride control, there are bound to be times where a sporty suspension gets caught out even with adaptive dampers.

Safe to say I spent about 6500 miles driving the Clubsport on non adaptive suspension and mostly on 19” wheels, then circa 4000 miles in the TCR with very similar suspension rates albeit adaptive equipped and I had zero real gripes. In fact the slightly lively suspension of the Ed40 felt more hot hatch to me and I didn’t complain about it once (that I remember!).
Both Ed40 and TCR had astonishingly good balance of ride and particularly handling (by Golf standards) with excellent steering to boot (IMO of course) and we can but assume the mk8 will fractionally improve on this following however many years of continuing development of the same basic chassis by the engineers.

As Watts says, a trapped nerve in my back hampered my enjoyment in the end but that’s just one of those things.
I’d fully expected to ride out the back issue but with me where it comes to cars I’m prone to go off on a complete tangent and your latter comment about the Pretorias is kind of where that started...

Is there life in the Pretoria design still?
Yes, I think there is but fully expect it to not become an 8R exclusive wheel as I reckon that model will likely be wearing something “next gen” but the Prets might be a performance option still on certain models of Golf.

The Passat can be specced with them and more relevantly the T-Roc R is a bang up to date model and wears them as standard.
I reckon it’s a style that’ll be gradually phased out but was just so right a design it’ll live on a bit longer.
Maybe I’m wrong, it often is the case!

The Pretorias were the Catalyst of my car change though as somewhere just before lockdown I spotted a demo T-Roc R and thought two things: I bet that car would be better for my back (compliant suspension and higher position) and “damn those wheels look good in that colour, I wonder if I should get some for my TCR“.
The T-Roc R was never a consideration to own but is an interesting and good looking car in its own right but it got me thinking about cars which wouldn’t hurt my back, the disappointment of the looks of the mk8 and my positive memories of driving the M135i F40.

It’s an often made comment on here about how enduringly good the mk7’s looks are with all the newer rivals sharing weird (unfortunate) shaped noses in profile and haunches due to pedestrian safety laws and aerodynamics.
These shapes will become the norm on the roads very soon, even the ubiquitous Corsa has sprung some strange angles and creases now in the latest gen model so it’s going to be a blanket design for hatchbacks.

So long as the improvements for the mk8 TCR/Cup chassis are at least partly honed on the roads and not just the Nurburgring then it’ll be another fantastic car to drive even if not to sit and look at.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2020, 19:17 by Exonian »
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner