Author Topic: radiator fan isnt kicking in causing over heat in traffic or left running.  (Read 15234 times)

Offline p11jon

• Here all the time
is this simple a broken fan or relay or blown fuse ???? simple cheap fix or cud it be something else that means the fan is not aware it needs to kick in??? i got a vw dealer down the rd shud i go there for quick opinion and fix???

Offline turbomick

• GTI forum regular
put the ignition on mate open the fuse box on the side and wen looking at the fuses head on take the top left but second one on out if the fans kick in there faulty fans just buy a new set think its a red fuse by the way if they dont kick in faulty wire maybe

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
Pull the plug from the switch and bridge the terminals if it works your switch is dead if not then it is a wiring / fuse problem.

Offline p11jon

• Here all the time
i think i can make sense of that.lol. i will have a try 2moro and let u know how i get on thanks guys. :smiley:so its fuse second from the top on lefthand side posibly coloured red and i remove that with the ignition n but not engine ? and if fan work when thats out i do wat? get wat?

Offline tech1889

• Serious forum addict
  • Mk2 GTI FTW !!
I'm gona go with fan switch has gone
Mk4 Golf GTI anniversary and mk6 golf tdi :)

Offline b1gdub

• GTI forum regular
  • MK4 1.8T AGU
I got this same problem. Will be investigating it this weekend.

Offline AaronGS

• I live here
That is fuse number16 you are removing. and yes its a 10a red fuse.

Wayne, what do you mean to bridge - the wires coming out the fan control unit under battery?

i am having similar issues and cannot find cause and too skint for auto-electrician!

Offline Mr_Orange

• I live here
  • MK4 GTi Turbo Exclusive 150 AUM

Build thread clicky