Author Topic: TwistedAspect - mk2 8v 'run to the sun challenge'  (Read 6618 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
here you go :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
  • '89 Gti 8V - Diamond Black (RIP)
Re: TwistedAspect - mk2 8v 'run to the sun challenge'
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2006, 12:39 »
Firstly a big thankyou to JV for opening this thread for me.....I thought it only fair as I undertake this project to share the experiences I am gaining from this with the people that are likely to help me.

Right, here we go....lets start with a little background info.

After a string of cars (Ranging from a lowly Mini Clubman Estate, A couple of MK2 Sciroccos even a bloody Toyota Celica) I came across this MK2 8v GTi for £750 on eBay. After several chats with the guy selling it, I was convinced I had a good buy and went ahead and placed my bid....possibly my first mistake. Went and had a look at her and on the surface, all looked fine so parted with £750 hard earned notes and collected the keys. Within 20 miles, the clutch was slipping badly and the gearbox was jumping out of gear and alarm bells started ringing....What had I just bought!!!!

So, eventually got her home and set about finding a second hand box locally...not quite as easy as you might have though....ended up buying a dodgy second hand box from a Scirocco 1.8 GTX as a stop gap. Had a nice new clutch fitted and had the box dropped in.......Immediately noticed something was amiss as there was a funny whirring noise in both 1st and 2nd......Oh dear

Guess what? This box probably lasted me a month before I needed yet another box...Luckily I found in the local scrappy a box that came from a car that only had 41,000 on the clock so snapped it up and dropped it in....All is now good in Gearbox land

The car has had nothing but problems since I got her, mainly stemming from dodgy wiring. Most of the electrics in the engine bay have been bodged somewhere along the line and like all bodge jobs, they are only a temporary fix before they decide to give up on you.

So now, she is running sweetly and handling nicely so it is time for the fun stuff....making her into the car I want.

So far plans for her include dropping a 2litre conversion in, Rebuilding the front end (corrosion is havings it's wicked way with her), New set of rims....(Looking at Platin P3's at the moment but open to suggestions), A complete ICE install (my particular expertise), retrimming the interior, Performance mods (including exhaust system) and finally a respray just to finish her off. I am toying with the idea of flushing the bootlid and smoothing the back out but as I say, they are WAY down on my list of priorities right now.

So there you go, A brief outline of the plans for this car and just for your pleasure (Or disgust) some pics of where I start from.

« Last Edit: 06 May 2006, 16:35 by TwistedAspect »

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2006, 14:53 »
Guess what? More troubles!!!!

Rear suspension on the passenger side has decided that it was feeling left out and decided to pop the centre right up into the boot......Guess what I am doing tomorrow?  :angry:

Still, ordered a couple of little bits just to make it feel like I have made a start......ordered a nice shiny "S line" badge for the front grille....yes, I know it isn't an Audi but the badge still looks great on the debadged grille.

Also just got in the central locking kit, enough for all 4 doors and the boot so that will be making an appearance very soon.
« Last Edit: 06 May 2006, 16:37 by TwistedAspect »

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2006, 15:06 »
Been a busy day today  :grin:

Yesterday my rear strut decided to make an alarming entry into my boot space.....obviously one thing to do, sort it out. Now, from past experience, I know that this is usually the top spring plate so I went off to GSF and bought a nice pair in order to replace them both.

The initial problem in the boot looked like this......not ideal to put it mildly  :undecided:

Now the plate at the top of the rear suspension I happen to know is prone to corrosion......the nice new parts should look something like this (lets play spot the difference)

Hence the reason my damper decided to show its innards to the inside of the car

Jacking the car up from the rear, obviously the first job was to remove the retaining assembly from the top of the strut. Usint a set of Mole Grips and a 17mm spanner, this came away quite happily. Then, using a spring compressor to stop any nasty shocks (no pun intended), I removed the bottom bolt from the strut allowing the whole assembly to drop away from the car to gain access to the top of the spring.

The existing plate and rubber spring seat was then removed, luckily the rubber seat was fairly new and as a result, intact so I switched them over with no troubles at all.

Then came the job of rebuilding the suspension. First job was to secure the top of the damper to the car, allowing the whole assembly to be held in place. This allowed me to place a support beneath the damper and to lower the jack to allor the wishbone and damper to line up. After replacing the bottom bolt, the car was then jacked up to allow the wheel to be replaced...end result? Something like this

Then the wheel was bolted back on and she is now sitting and lot straighter on the road

The top was the reassembled finally securing the entire assembly into place loike so

And the trim replaced

The second job for the day was to fit my subtle "S-line" badge I have just aquired. Not a lot too this but i am quite please with the finished result.

Thankfully, she is now ready to take to the Cheddar Gorge meet tomorrow  :grin:
« Last Edit: 06 May 2006, 15:11 by TwistedAspect »

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2006, 22:33 »
Just a quick update....went shopping this weekend  :grin:

List of goodies

German Plates
2e Gasket set (first part for my 2.0l conversion)
New wing mirrors
Crystal crosshair headlights
Stuff to build a new parcel shelf to take those bloody heavy speakers

Busy weekend next week  :grin:
« Last Edit: 14 May 2006, 22:37 by TwistedAspect »

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2006, 18:23 »
Well, the news is not good guys, yesterday my beloved MK2 decided it had had enough of life and committed suicide.......blew the head gasket and cracked the head...me thinks it is time to give up on this one and if you check in the parts for sale - I am breaking her for spares.

Now the good news  :grin:

Just bought myself another diamond black 5 door, this time on a J plate so my plans are still in existence.......I will post some pics soon but for the time being, look in my sig........watch this space  :cool:

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 29 June 2006, 21:05 »
Hi all.....

After a time away I finally have my new project to get ready for Run To The Sun next year

Brief history before the pics....

1989 MK2 8v In Tornado Red
Completely original
88k miles on the clock

Price? £300 with 10 months MoT....I know she is a bit battered but hey, with a little patience, she'll be good  :cool:

And now for some piccies

Offline TwistedAspect

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2006, 20:34 »
Right...what a day!!!!!!

First job was to send off the parts I had sold....erm  :sad:

Then came the fun....went to the local scrappy and managed to find myself a REAL bargain......a set of 4 16" OZ rims for a measly £80!!!!!

Got them home and set to work starting to make my new toy my own...first off was the front end.....fitted my new debadged grille and crosshair crystal lights, what an amazing difference!!!

Fitted my nice new rims so I could get rid of those awful rusty 14" steelies it was sat on and what a transformation....tomorrow I start tackling the dents, especially the one at the rear.

Anyhow, some piccies to show you the difference  :grin:

Had an interesting revelation today....was seriously intending to ditch the small bumpers and go for the big bumper look however after seeing her today start to take shape, now I am not so sure  :huh: