Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 362542 times)

Offline EleanorGTI

• Just got here
  • Mk6 2010 GTI
Just picked up my Mk6 last week and did service on it yesterday. Very conscious of the risks surrounding the tensioner failures as posted on this forum so the plan for me is to open the bonnet say once a week and start up the engine whilst carefully listening for the warning noise.

I'm also keen to get a coding device and run a check using this once a week to see if that can detect anything adverse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what coder to get for a Mk6? Any responses appreciated & thanks in advance.

Eleanor

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
No coder will tell you mate, only visual inspection of the tensioner.

If its 09,59 or 10 plate i would just pay to get the tensioner and surrounding parts changed asap.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Poached

• I live here
Just picked up my Mk6 last week and did service on it yesterday. Very conscious of the risks surrounding the tensioner failures as posted on this forum so the plan for me is to open the bonnet say once a week and start up the engine whilst carefully listening for the warning noise.

I'm also keen to get a coding device and run a check using this once a week to see if that can detect anything adverse.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what coder to get for a Mk6? Any responses appreciated & thanks in advance.

Eleanor

If you're after something to view/clear faults then one of these readers will be useful:

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGT55.html

Alternatively you could get the comprehensive dealership level diagnostic tool for VAG called VCDS:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

Offline EleanorGTI

• Just got here
  • Mk6 2010 GTI
That's really useful thanks!  :smiley:

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here

Eleanor

If you're after something to view/clear faults then one of these readers will be useful:

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGT55.html

Alternatively you could get the comprehensive dealership level diagnostic tool for VAG called VCDS:

http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCHU.html

^^^^^^ non of these can prevent you from knowing if the timing chain is going slip and cause your engine to go bang.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Poached

• I live here
I know, to me the statement about the code reader wasn't exclusive to the timing chain.

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
I know, to me the statement about the code reader wasn't exclusive to the timing chain.

Ah ok, my bad.

Offline tyrwhittali

• Just got here
Our Golf died two weeks ago and the garage has now confirmed that the timing chain has spilled and the whole engine needs to be replaced.

We had originally mentioned to them that we were aware of the known issue with the timing belt when we dropped if off, so having told us a complete engine replace would be £8,000 when we asked upfront, they immediately in with an offer of that we pay just £4,050 (just!). Based on what other people have been offered we think these seems high? But then we are getting something compared to other people who are struggling to get anything.

It's an 09 place (although registered in the June) and has always been serviced at VW.

Offline JIMMYBRODIE

• Not said much yet
Has anyone had experience with this issue when they have a 3rd party warranty on the car? Also what's the rough price to change the tensioner which I might consider doing yearly, I'm sure there would be some kind of guarantee on the new parts to cover the potential issue.

I've not had mine done yet and I'm at 70k, any experience and advice would be welcomed?

Thanks

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Unsure on 3rd party however I wouldn't rely on it.

Price wise you'll need to read this lengthy post many people have listed what there paying at inddy garages including part numbers etc of whats required. Off memory about £300
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house