Author Topic: Sensor?  (Read 902 times)

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
Sensor?
« on: 28 January 2009, 19:59 »
What is the sensor at the front of the airbox with two wires running to it. Its an ADY. Been having poor running. Car holds back under accelaration. Its using alot of fuel. Think it might be an air problem. Thanks

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Sensor?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2009, 21:08 »
thats the intake air temp sensor....and it shouldnt effect your car like you state. Try cleaning the throttle body and then check all the breather pipes are fine.
have a look in the mk3 maintenence section if this dosent solve it
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline spunkymonkey

• I live here
  • Tepidly moist! That's what that is!
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2009, 22:00 »
Unplug the air mass meter then take it for a spin, if its better thats your problem.

Offline steve113

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2009, 16:48 »
i am having the same trouble with mine and mines an ADY tried everything cleaned mas sensor ,throttle body ,new plugs ,dizzy cap, rotar arm, ht leads ,new breathers, air filter, cleaned all earth straps still the same  spoke to a  local vw sepcelists  about ecu and fuel  relays and vag com and he  recons its the timing and told me he would recomend checking that before going down VAG COM or relay  ROUTE   so booked in next week so i let you know if it gets solved,

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2009, 17:03 »
I would certainly recommend getting the timing checked if a new belt has being fitted recently (and wrongly...a far too common occurance!!). otherwise there should be no reason why the timing would change (unless the belt slips a tooth!!not very common!)
best way to check the timing is by the rev limiter....if the timing is out it won't rev above 5000rpm

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2009, 17:09 »
Belt was done by previous owner about 10k ago. Mines is an Intermittent fault though. It will run and pull fine for a couple of weeks although still has a tiny mis fire on idle, hardly anything. Then it will run crap for a couple of weeks, bogging down when accelerating and won't idle when cold. Have tried all those things too. Same as you havent tried relays. If it was a timing issue it would run crap all the time. I have checked the dizzy advance on the vag comp. ITS DOING MY HEAD IN!!! Wish i could get to the bottom of it.. Could a coil be intermittent?

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2009, 19:16 »
A coil issue would normally show up more when damp...... next time the car misbehaves try some wd40 all over the coil first and then leads..If it improves etc that's your issue!

Offline zoomered

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2009, 20:07 »
I'll give it a bash. Its running crap just now. Would be strange though cause it tends to run crap for 2-3 weeks then run good for 2-3 weeks. Would have thought that if it was due to damp it would be more regular. Thanks