Author Topic: FINISHED PICTURES UPLOADED!!!  (Read 12724 times)

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
FINISHED PICTURES UPLOADED!!!
« on: 27 February 2008, 19:20 »
i bought some color coded bumpers from ebay ,I payed £45 delivered wich i thought was briliant considering i was quoted £250 to paint my non colour coded bumpers ,

i just recieved them today and they are quite badly scuffed and scratched :cry: :cry:

im some places they are badly scuffed/chipped and need filler i think, and in other places they are just scratched any could be reapaired with a can of touch up paint, 

i am disapointed as i was told they were in perfect condition,

does anyone know wot the best way to repair them would be?,  how much would i be looking at paying to get them done profesionally at a scratch chip and dent reapir place?

heres some pics (click ont them to enlarge)

thanks

« Last Edit: 12 March 2008, 20:26 by golfmk31993 »

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
I would give it a go your self as they will cost £150+ to get painted alsewhere...
rub down,fill,prime and paint...simple really
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
most of the scrathces im gunna do with a can of halfords touch up paint, but its the chips im worried about,   

if i use halfords tuch up paint, can i just spary it directly over the scratched areas?? and will the colour match or is it gunna look bodged??

also wot should i use to sand, wich filler, and wich primer should i use to do the chipped areas??

thanks

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
get a multi pack of wet and dry,some p38 filler,grey primer and red top coat..
first sand the bumpers using medium wet dry and where you see deep chips use the p38 to make smooth, when dry sand the filler with rough wet dry and then go over the full bumper. when smooth and level prime the painted part and the use fine wet dry to smooth.. then reprime and paint...

if you have a haynes book have a look for body repair tips etc..they have some good info for first timers

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time

ok sounds easy enough
so i can just sand down and filler the scuffed area's, i dont wanna do the whole bumper it seems pointless,
also will it be ok to use a spray can of halfords touch up paint??

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
as long as the paint isnt flakey you should be fine o rub and fill the painted area....and halfords/carplan etc paint will all be fine

is the black scuffed as thats a bit more difficult!

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
the black is slightly scuffed but its not very bad, im not too bothered about that, its really just the painted parts of the bumpers i wanna sort,

the rear bumper has a tiny scratch wich i will just spray touch up paint straight onto apart from that its fine,
its just the front bumper has (as you can see in pics)  been scuffed on the corners of the painted part, and has a couple small chips,
i apreciate your help, im gunna spend saturday sanding , fillling , priming and painting , ill let you know how it goes.

does anyone know were i can find a how to on this topic, im sure there is one somewere on the internet but i just cant find it

thanks again

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
I need to this to my rear bumper, some1 reversed straight into it!  :huh: couldn't they see it!

Might need filler, will need to check damage.

Here's a pic:

LL ;)

Offline golfmk31993

• Here all the time
i have looked on halfords website and they have a plastic bumper scuff and scrape repair kit,

it includes

1 x clear gel plastic filler
1 x activator & pump spray
1 x primer & dauber
1 x textured paint
4 x coarses wet & dry
1 x smoothing film
2 x cleaning wipes
1 x pair of gloves

anyone used one of theese or know if it is any good, or can anyone recomend some better products to use??

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
i have looked on halfords website and they have a plastic bumper scuff and scrape repair kit,

it includes

1 x clear gel plastic filler
1 x activator & pump spray
1 x primer & dauber
1 x textured paint
4 x coarses wet & dry
1 x smoothing film
2 x cleaning wipes
1 x pair of gloves

anyone used one of theese or know if it is any good, or can anyone recomend some better products to use??

thats good for the black part but not the painted bit