Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 54172 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Cracked sunroof surround
« on: 27 February 2020, 16:02 »
In the immortal words of Victor Meldrew, I don't believe it!

Just discovered these two cracks in the same positions on both sides of the black plastic surround, one is completely cracked, the other nearly there. Hadn't noticed them before but then with the weather being so bad I haven't had much of a chance for a really good inspection. I can't see it being any form of impact damage as it is on both sides. Will have to see what the dealer says tomorrow. Anybody come across this before?

2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2020, 16:32 »
Join this facebook group (if you're not already a member) - UK MK7 Golf R Owners Club.  Then search for "cracked pan roof" in the search box and you will see two long recent threads regarding this problem - one from Deane Hurn and one from Lee Garside.  Interesting reading and it may help you.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2020, 16:38 »
Join this facebook group (if you're not already a member) - UK MK7 Golf R Owners Club.  Then search for "cracked pan roof" in the search box and you will see two long recent threads regarding this problem - one from Deane Hurn and one from Lee Garside.  Interesting reading and it may help you.

Thanks for that. I'm not on facebook though, can the posts be seen elsewhere or without being a member?
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2020, 16:53 »

Thanks for that. I'm not on facebook though, can the posts be seen elsewhere or without being a member?
The threads are in a private group which means you have to join the group to see them.  I doubt, therefore, whether they can be seen any other way.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2020, 17:05 »
@Watts; Some owners over on golfmk7.com have suffered similar cracks on the plastic panel surrounding the sunroof during the life of the mk7/mk7.5 Golf, so it might be worth having a look over in the GTI section on that forum.

The majority of owners on that forum are from USA/Canada and some of the trim levels on North American GTI’s have a sunroof as part of the standard spec. so there’ll be a fair number of owners with  experience of a mk7/mk7.5 with a sunroof.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2020, 20:38 »

The threads are in a private group which means you have to join the group to see them.  I doubt, therefore, whether they can be seen any other way.

Just got an update from the two lads on the facebook site that had the same problem and the good news is that both had the problem fixed under warranty.  However, it was not all plain sailing, one lad in particular had a bit of a fight to get VWUK to admit liability.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2020, 20:41 »
^ what was VWs stance in the argument? I suppose the only thing they could realistically claim is extreme shock due to pothole impact. I'd counter argue that if the wheels don't show any signs of impact, there was no impact.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2020, 20:50 »
Thanks SR.

So looking around this doesn't appear to be uncommon and not just on Golfs. Quite a few with cracks in exactly the same location so I can only think there must be a design or fitment issue. Also worrying is the amount of strip down some are reporting. Just hope the dealer and VW are reasonable about it and do the right thing, clearly I've not caused the damage and it's not from any impact. Then if and when it gets fixed, will it go again??

Cross posts - thanks TurboTrev, I'm expecting resistance, hoping for common sense.
Monkeyhanger - thanks, good point for me to keep in mind. You'd expect the car to be able to take a shock without the roof getting damaged!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2020, 21:34 »
Here are the cracks from the facebook site.  They seem to be in the same place.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 27 February 2020, 21:58 »
Cheers for that. Yes, looks to be exactly the same location, plenty of other examples too. Kind of wish I hadn't bothered with a sunroof now :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.